Very odd reptile keeping question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I’m gonna throw this out there, my daughter has a pet Rankins Dragon. We usually use a reptile sanitiser to clean out the Vivarium but have run out and can’t find anywhere it is in stock. I disposed of the last empty one we had so can’t see the active ingredients but I was wondering if it would be safe to use Starsan or Chemsan to sanitise the Viv? I don’t expect a quick response, or possibly any on this, but would be grateful if someone out there could advise!
225A74F2-2076-4E7A-B48F-F2327F5C27AB.jpeg

7C438FB8-7CEA-409E-9691-7C145CC437BD.jpeg

I had an iguana many years ago I kept it in a large fish tank I cleaned it regilarly but never used any chemicals amd never had a problem.

We've got a crested gecko (echo the gecko), and never use sanitiser whilst cleaning (not a fan of using any thing harmful). We clean the glass with a slight vinegar solution to get the smears off and wash everything with tap water. Haven't seen any harm done yet.
IMG-20191203-WA0002.jpg

Sorry to hear that mate, an awkward situation to be in. Damn you Covid, another industry that's been affected by you! athumb..

I used to have a royal python and a dwarf boa and all the advice I was given by a lot of different sources was to only use reptile friendly cleaners and disinfectants. I never thought to have a look at the ingredients so not sure what else you could use, the vinegar solution suggested by @Subtle Duck might be an option.

We don't use any sanitisers either to be honest, unless cleaning out an old viv before using it to house new stock in order to avoid cross transfer.

The main thing reps carry is salmonella to be honest, so hand hygiene is more important really. Online reptile shop have some Habistat cleaners in stock though if that helps any.

We only have a corn snake right now (oh and a couple of tarantulas), but have kept leopard geckos, bearded dragons, White's tree frogs, fire bellied toads..... lol

Latest posts

Back