victoria plum wine- recipe anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good amount of sugar, comparable to apples. I'd juice them and ferment the juice. But I have a sort of recipe with plums and elderberries in a book somewhere. Never tried it, but I could dig into the archives if you'd like.

Maybe play around? You've enough for about 10 gallons there, plenty to try a few different recipes. I'd done plums with natural yeast before and they came out really well, very long ferment and not particularly strong but a really broad range of flavors. Champagne or cider yeast is usually used, I'm fermenting one with what's labeled as a fruity red wine yeast at the mo and that's turning out interesting, it had a port like taste a few weeks ago but not sure if it'll turn out well as it's turning into an almost burned taste after adding more sugar. That was using frozen plumbs though, haven't used frozen before and it might be very different to fresh.

Cool :) Can you post it when you've got it going? Interested to see how it turns out as some years I'm overrun with plums (not this year unfortunately). I'm guessing you've seen the Japanese plum wines? Very popular over there but I've yet to try any. I'd made a fizzy one last year too and that worked really well. I found it hard to judge the end point though, would have liked more fizz but ered on the side of caution.

will do, so far put together 2 x 1 gallon batches, will pitch the yeast later this week then take it from there. I'll try cider yeast.

Back