Quantcast

Victoria Plum Wine

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Jo67

Reaction score
Haha @DocAnna As a newbie I cannot really offer advice but go for it. We left 10 days between adding yeast and straining but only because we were away. We had plums in a straining bag which we stirred for 7 days and my OH squeezed it quite thoroughly after straining. There was a lot of fruit taste in it but anything is worth a try if you wanted to!
I have never made plum wine before so didnt know if we were going to get white, red, rose or any shade in between though I am now expecting a deep rose. I just wish there was some way of hurrying it along but I may just have to be patient!

DocAnna

Reaction score
Haha @DocAnna As a newbie I cannot really offer advice but go for it. We left 10 days between adding yeast and straining but only because we were away. We had plums in a straining bag which we stirred for 7 days and my OH squeezed it quite thoroughly after straining. There was a lot of fruit taste in it but anything is worth a try if you wanted to!
I have never made plum wine before so didnt know if we were going to get white, red, rose or any shade in between though I am now expecting a deep rose. I just wish there was some way of hurrying it along but I may just have to be patient!
I'm new here myself and have only been back at winemaking and brewing for about a year after a couple of decades (*cough* and a bit) away from it. My children are all faintly amused at me looking at everything in the garden and thinking...oooh I could make wine from that! Last time we had a big plum harvest we made an awful lot of plum jam which we are still eating - and I'm better at brewing than making jam thankfully.
Anna

Jo67

Reaction score
Have you tried commercial fruit wines - to have something to aim for.
Eg Gales fruit wines, or the ones from Lyme bay spring to mind as ones that are sometimes in supermarkets.
Like LED says - they do tend to be quite sweet
I haven't @jof but then I prefer my wines on the drier side. I dont like the sweet pudding wine style at all!

Jo67

Reaction score
I'm new here myself and have only been back at winemaking and brewing for about a year after a couple of decades (*cough* and a bit) away from it. My children are all faintly amused at me looking at everything in the garden and thinking...oooh I could make wine from that! Last time we had a big plum harvest we made an awful lot of plum jam which we are still eating - and I'm better at brewing than making jam thankfully.
Anna
Haha well we only tried the plum wine as my OH's mum asked him to take the Victoria Plums off the tree as she can't manage this year. I have a (funny?) story in that in picking them, my OH also ate 3 whole ones, straight in his mouth! The first ten plums he cut open to stone them had maggots in them and it made him feel slightly queasy! aheadbutt aheadbutt 😂😂 Anyway he chucked the rest in the recycling and 2 weeks later his mum gave him some more. Cut open they didnt have any sign of skin damage or maggots so these were taken from deeper inside the tree. I am (hoping) that the plum doesnt repair itself and digest the maggot though my fears are that someone will prove me wrong!!! Incidentally we have decided to call the wine (if it is ever bottled) "Maggots Ruin" 😂😂😂

Pablosaurus

Reaction score
Hi Jo67 - I've just discovered this thread having gone through exactly the same process, with the exact same recipe, and now I'm impatiently staring at two demi-johns of wine that are slightly lighter in colour to yours. The only difference in approach is I added a crushed camden tab to each demi before racking. I have never made any wine before so have the same questions! a) can I speed up the time-to-drinking? b) When should I sweeten it (it's bone dry and v. alcoholic atm)? Anyone sweetened plum wine using anything unusual to add to the flavour? Is that crazy talk?

I'm guessing the best advice is to deal with my impatience, bottle when it has cleared, then wait.

DocAnna

Reaction score
26 litres of the stuff still bubbling away for me.... smells v alcoholic too. There's an awful lot of it so I'm really hoping I can make something that tastes nice out of it.

Anna

Jo67

Reaction score
Hi Jo67 - I've just discovered this thread having gone through exactly the same process, with the exact same recipe, and now I'm impatiently staring at two demi-johns of wine that are slightly lighter in colour to yours. The only difference in approach is I added a crushed camden tab to each demi before racking. I have never made any wine before so have the same questions! a) can I speed up the time-to-drinking? b) When should I sweeten it (it's bone dry and v. alcoholic atm)? Anyone sweetened plum wine using anything unusual to add to the flavour? Is that crazy talk?

I'm guessing the best advice is to deal with my impatience, bottle when it has cleared, then wait.
Hi
we added stabiliser though the recipe didn't mention it; then racked it once sediment had settled. Hydrometer reading is still indicating 13% and the acidity is a bit less. In a glass it looks really clear and orange in colour. I think we're going to leave it another month then see what the acidity is like. Can you buy kits specifically for testing acidity in wine?

@Pablosaurus I think there was a link in that same recipe to backsweeten - I didnt look at it as prefer dry wine

Pablosaurus

Reaction score
All this chatter has clearly got the better of me. Last night I poured myself a glass straight from the demi and stuck it in the fridge for a while to chill. I'm actually really surprised. It's great! Drinkable now and pleasant. That said, it's still cloudy and has a very subtle extra dimension which isn't nasty, just 'there'. I'm guessing this is what will disappear with age and clarity. Given how young it is (3 weeks in the demi), I'm well pleased! Fermentation is long complete, so think I'll cold crash it for a couple of days then get it bottled (and try to lay off guzzling it all for a while). No need to backsweeten in the end, @Jo67, but appreciate the tip. athumb..