Victorian IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACBEV

Old Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post up my latest brew. Have been slowly developing the recipe for several years now and is better each time. I even sent a bottle into the forum comp. last year with a 2nd place. :confused:

Be careful if you brew up this beer, its very easy drinking and I find it easy to have one to many.

The recipe is based on an export pale ale from Trumans circa 1880. To get the beer as pale as the original, I use 50/50 Golden Promise and Lager malt, with a little wheat malt. I did try it with Maris Otter once, but that didn't suit this beer. Enough rambling...

Batch Size: 22L
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.020
ABV: 6.3
IBU: 73
EBC: 9

3kg Golden Promise Malt
3kg Lager Malt
375g Wheat Malt

Note: I do a very old fashioned mashing scheme, which I wont bore you with... Hence I've simplified the mash...

60 minutes @ 69c with 15.8L (2.5 l/kg)
Top-up mash with 7.5L @ 72c and leave for another 30 minutes.
Slowly drain wort from mash tun into bucket.
Sparge with 23.4L @ 77c

You should end up with 38.5L pre-boil wort (top-up if needed. This is the maximum my boiler can handle)

Boil for 180 minutes (3 hours)... ashock1
The original recipe called for hop additions at 180 mins and well over 100 IBUs, I've scaled them back, starting at 60 minutes.

22g Bramling Cross @ 60 mins (Original was 44g of Cluster @180 mins)
56g Fuggles @ 40 mins
53g Hersbrucker @ 20 mins
61g Saaz @ 10 mins
1 Britewort tablet @ 10 mins

Cool wort to 17c and chuck the lot into the FV (hops included). You should have about 22/23L in the FV (top-up if needed).

Pitch 2 packets of Wyeast London Ale III or make a starter.

Leave in FV for 3 weeks @ 19c, then tranfer into a secondary FV (leaving trub behind) for another 9 weeks @ 12c.

Bottling: 120g cane sugar for priming (I use demerara!) and a packet of Nottingham yeast.

Condition for 3 weeks @ 19c, then store @ 12c.

The beer will be super brite (clear), with a tiny firm yeast sediment and will keep for ages in good condition.

Latest posts

Back