Videne or Vanodine V18 ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubofo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently just run out of Young's sanitizer and realised that is really doesn't last me very long at all, so I got to thinking about the stuff I used when I had pet rats - Vanodine V18. I remember it was a farm-grade sanitizer and at certain solutions could be safely consumed.

Turns out this has already been looked at and discussed :thumb:
So I noticed the discussion about Videne also. Perhaps Aleman or Vossy (or anybody in the know) could advise if there are any differences between the two and, if so, what would be the better option ?

Secondly, I seem some talk about needing a 'cleaner' alongside these types of sanitizer? What is the cleaner for? Can plain hot water be used to clean if the equipment is going to be sanitized anyway? What is a decent cheap cleaner if needed?

- I used to get my Vanodine V18 from Rat Rations (1lt @ £6.50), who also used to do Fam30. I'll send them an email to see if they can still supply the 5lt Fam30

I use household beach as my cleaning agent, the thick stuff. I then rinse in a sodium metabisulphite solution so that the bleach flavour is 'killed off'.

The sanitising sticky at the top of this forum is useful and has a few cheap options, including caustic soda.

I got the metabisulphite off eBay for around £9 a kilo delivered, it seems to work great at half a teaspoon per litre and keeps for ages, my 'spare' fermenting vat is full of the stuff and I store all my kit in that, syphon tube, spoon, jug hydrometer and sample jar etc :)

So far (touch wood) I've not had a problem, but I've only done 6 big brews and 2 small ones so far.

OK cool, thanks for the tip.

I might go down the route of washing soda to clean and some Vanodine V18 / Videne sterilizing spray n rinse.
Hopefully that will save a few pennies ;)

Would still like to know any differences between the V18 and Videne though...

Not sure what the differences are, the Data sheet for V18 is [urlhttp://www.evansvanodine.co.uk/images/documents/sds/eng_v18.pdf]HERE[/url]. I've had a look online for data sheets for videne but have found a few different ones, so not sure.
I dont think theres anything too scary in V18. Lots of sites selling V18 give the dilution required to use for drinking water, but I'm not sure if thats drinking water for animals rather than humans... :lol:

I'm thinking of going down the V18 route for a non rinse sanitiser, just need to work out dilution rates.

Cheers .... Pervert :lol:

Yeah I'm thinking V18 might be really good. I vaguely remember the dilution rates were really quite good even for heavily soiled farm-grade situations.
I think someone mentioned before that between 1.25 - 2.5 ml should be safe for a non rinse dilution.

At £6.50 per litre that's a fantastic deal. I also remember that it actually stayed active for a few weeks when 'made up' in a spray bottle.

Now to find a seriously cheap (bulk) and powerful 'cleaner' and I'm sorted :thumb:

Just one thing on the 'no-rinse' side of it.....it does have a deep brown /orange colour to it (like iodine fluid), so I wonder how this would effect the brew? Also can't remember if there was a smell/taste to it :hmm:

OK just to throw a spanner in the works here, after reading through the Evans Vanodine website it seems they have a fairly new product:

Vanoquat™ ‘New Formulation’
-Detergent Disinfectant
-DEFRA Approved
-For use in the food process industry
-Effective against a wide range of pathogenic and spoilage organisms
-Suitable for use in hard or soft water areas
-Pack size - 1 x 25lt, 2 x 5lt (export only)

Seems this could be used as both a 'cleaner' and 'sanitizer' would this be right?
Also seems to be used in food processing so that's got to be a plus?

UPDATE: just got an email back to say they do still sell Fam30 in 5lt containers

Hello Keith,

We do still sell the FAM 30 in 5 litre containers. It is available now on
our sister-site junglegold.com or you can call us on 01953 452321 to order.
It is £26.00 plus delivery.

Kind regards,
Alison

graysalchemy said:
That is cheap :thumb: by the looks of it carriage is 6.95 so 32.95 for 5L.
Which makes it 3.30 per 500ml . . . then add on the cost of 10 Plastic bottles plus delivery . . . Should be around 6 quid.

fubofo said:
Vanoquat™ ‘New Formulation’
-Detergent Disinfectant

-For use in the food process industry

Seems this could be used as both a 'cleaner' and 'sanitizer' would this be right?
Also seems to be used in food processing so that's got to be a plus?
Be very careful, not all iodophors are created equally! Many of these are created for specific purposes, and often will require rinsing, or if they don't require rinsing are not safe in contact with food. Without talking to Evans vanodine directly you cannot be sure that this will be safe in teh manner we intend to use it.

I believe Vossy has spoken to EV and they recommended Fam30 as the correct iodophor for this application.

I will be doing the same before ordering.

Aleman said:
Which makes it 3.30 per 500ml . . . then add on the cost of 10 Plastic bottles plus delivery . . . Should be around 6 quid.

What does this relate to Aleman? Looking to sell it in 500ml bottles for around £6 or get a pool together for buyers?
If you're looking to pool together I would like to get a bottle, though I'll need higher postage (Belfast)

While you're here:
- what would the differences be between Fam30 and V18? (is one stronger / no rinse?)
- do you know of the differences between Videne and V18? (if any)

Out of those 3 I presume Fam30 would be best as it is:
* no rinse
* cleaner
* sterilizer
* cheapest (batch)
...correct?

This site seems like a good one for Fam 30 x 5lt. £32.65 inc free delivery. And your first order gets a 10% discount so about £29.39 inc delivery = £2.94 per 500ml.

Cheers for that bobsbeer.

So can I just clarify why you all measure the price in 500ml bottles?

Because they are so used to 500ml beer bottles hahaha,no i think that videne is commonly sold in that size so it is easy to compare prices in that size or multiples of. :cheers: ken.

fubofo said:
So can I just clarify why you all measure the price in 500ml bottles?
Just so that we can compare like with like . . . although it is going to depend on dilution ratios as well. Fam30 can be diluted 1:100 for some applications, but it goes as high as 1:2500 for others, I am yet again waiting to hear from EV regarding a dilution that will give 12.5ppm free iodine.

And yes I am considering bulk buying some and then repackaging and passing it on at cost, Videne is getting silly at a Tenner.

Thanks for the reply Aleman

I'll wait to see if you get any more information about it. Might actually take a 500ml bottle myself.
And I presume that 12.5ppm is the target dilution for iodine to both clean and sterilize (rinse or no rinse?) for homebrewing

I would never rely on the cleaning action of an iodophor, certainly the 12.5ppm free iodine is the rate for no rinse 'sterilisation' of an organically clean surface. To clean using iodophors, you need a much stronger solution . . . which will require rinsing.

Most of my cleaning is done using nothing more than hot water and a sponge or micro fibre cloth. Stubborn marks get the washing soda/generic oxiclean treatment, and things like bottles get a soak in generic oxiclean.

Again, thanks for the info. I'm picking u quite a bit from this thread alone lol :cheers:

While on the subject on cleaning/sterilisation - I pitched a Coopers Irish Stout yesterday :drink: and it is trying to climb out of the bucket at the minute; backwards through the airlock, bust through industrial duct tape I was using to quick-patch a hole and I'm sure the lid may not hold much longer lol.

My question is....with some of the brew now gathering on top of the lid, should I regularly clean and sterilise this over the next few days? I don't want to risk an infection when it comes to transferring to my secondary vessel - or am I being over-cautious? :?

fubofo said:
While you're here:
- what would the differences be between Fam30 and V18? (is one stronger / no rinse?)
- do you know of the differences between Videne and V18? (if any)
I'd be keen to know this too, mostly because V18 is available in smaller quantities and seems more widely available.

If there was a bulk order of something then I'd be interested.

Well I've just bit the bullet and gone bought myself a bottle of V18 (totalling £11.80 inc. delivery)
Hopefully this works out well and should last long enough.

Think I'll stick with a regime of:
cleaning
- wipe down (light dirt)
- soda crystals (heavy dirt)
sterilising
- 2.5ml V18 (after clean rinse)
- 1.5ml V18 (brew day no rinse)

Back