Videne or Vanodine V18 ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fubofo said:
Think I'll stick with a regime of:
cleaning
- wipe down (light dirt)
- soda crystals (heavy dirt)
sterilising
- 2.5ml V18 (after clean rinse)
- 1.5ml V18 (brew day no rinse)

very similar to mine, but i use oxy for hard to reach cleaning.

Cheers prolix

Funnily enough I was actually reading up on using Oxiclean (or Lidl W5) earlier, after cleaning out my rather grubby Coopers Irish Stout vessel (which blew out all over the place!).
Think I might replace the previous Soda crystals regime with Oxiclean.

Apparently sometimes Poundland sells it (...for £1 lol)

Can I just check with you guys that OxyMAX (Poundland) is the same stuff and should work at the same dilutions?

What is the actual active ingredient I'm looking for and at what levels?

I've missed this thread completely :roll:
As Tony has already said I did speak to EV a while back regards Fam 30. It's used to clean/sanitise dairy tankers and associated equipment and is no rinse. The concentration for cleaning/sanitising is much higher than that for sanitising alone, so it may be more cost effective to use a cleaner and Fam 30 to sanitise. They also do another product which does the same job/s which is based on peracetic acid. Most farm suppliers sell Fam 30.
I'll have to delve into the depths of time for more info :lol:

Just an update really.

I got my Vanodine V18 delivered today and yes it is indeed a 1 litre bottle.
Here are some images for any feedback or future use:

It would be great if someone could get back to this and let me know that it is the correct stuff before I begin using it LOL
I intend to use it as a spray (sanitizing) - what dilutions?
Rinse - 2ml per litre cold water?
No rinse - 0.75ml-1ml per litre cold water?

fubofo said:
It would be great if someone could get back to this and let me know that it is the correct stuff before I begin using it LOL
I'd love too but know nothing about it.

fubofo said:
I intend to use it as a spray (sanitizing) - what dilutions?
Rinse - 2ml per litre cold water?
No rinse - 0.75ml-1ml per litre cold water?
It depends on the amount of free iodine in solution. Videne has 10% free iodine and therefore needs a 1.25ml / litre dilution to get 12.5ppm

Aah, thanks aleman. Maybe Vossy can help?

So am I right in saying that 12.5ppm is the target ratio for an effective rinse solution?
What about a no-rinse ratio?

fubofo said:
Aah, thanks aleman. Maybe Vossy can help?

So am I right in saying that 12.5ppm is the target ratio for an effective rinse solution?
What about a no-rinse ratio?
Anywhere between 12.5 to 25ppm is effectively no rinse (In this case less is more).

Thing with iodine is that it is very effective in low dilutions as the strength goes up it's not as effective. so forget a no rinse solution.

It's been so long since I've looked into or used the stuff that I can't remember much on the technical apsects :oops: ...suffice to say Tony's your man for this one :cool:
I do remember asking the EV guy if the Fam 30 (I think it was F30 :wha: ) would be effective enough as a cleaner sanitiser, his response was something along the lines of "if it can clean off lumps of cow s**t and then sanitise tanks/associated valves and hose I wouldn't be too worried in your application" I laughed out load when he said it...I just wasn't expecting that sort of response :lol:
I was at the time using their milk stone remover for mineral deposits in my fv, he said it would shift that too and not to waste my money on 2 products :roll:
He also said a lot of the farm 'stuff' is the same as brewery cleaners/sanitisers, just branded differently....which I guess we know already.

Cheers Vossy, who is Tony?

I might see if I can give EV a call myself to figure the difference between Fam30 and V18.
Also might try to get details about Iodine levels and dilution rates for our needs

OK another update.

Got speaking to EV and got the following details for V18:

Iodine content = 1.75%
12.5ppm = 1:1400 (no-rinse - immediately active, 5mins should be plenty) potentially even safe to drink
25ppm = 1:700 (rinse for heavy cleaning)

So by my (potentially incorrect) maths that means:

No-rinse
0.7ml per litre (or 0.3ml per 500ml spray bottle)

Clean + rinse
1.4ml per litre

---------------------------------

I think I'm gonna go with a dilution ratio of:

No-rinse spray
0.5ml per 500ml

Clean and rinse
1.5ml per litre (with an Oxy clean beforehand)

Good on ya for chasing this up f :cool: before rounding the dilutions up it might be worth hanging on for A's advice...I seem to remember increasing the concentration of certain products reduces their effectiveness....but it's hazy :hmm:

Either way it's going to be cheap as chips :grin:

more info on these agricultural cleaners with dilution rates is available on the DEFRA website. FAM30 is one of the few that can be used to kill foot and mouth. V18 is cleared for most disinfecting purposes EXCEPT f&m. V18 is used to clean small animal cages and aviaries etc, so at a reasonable dilution shouldn't harm us, the lethal dose of iodine is in the range of 30mg per kg or 2.4g for an average adult. (however rats have survived 14000mg/kg doses) idophors also decomposes to a gas and leave no residue. ps good article on idophors in brewing on wikipedia. credits to Robert Arguello.

Latest posts

Back