Vienna lager video:- Recipe writing,Brewing,fermenting,lagering

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Heath

Regular.
Reaction score
It is time for a Vienna lager style guide.

This video covers recipe writing, brewing, lagering and fermenting (with lager yeast and kveik! ) of this style in line with my new series of videos. It also includes the style history, which may surprise you.

This video was made by popular demand and I hope it helps you all with this often overlooked gem of a beer style.

As usual, thank you for all your kind support and enthusiasm for my channel.

Please keep your questions, feedback and requests coming but please give me some time to answer, I get a lot of messages and answer them in the order they were sent in, particularly those on Facebook messenger tend to stack up! If you are comfortable then please ask questions within Facebook groups,forums or Youtube, so that others can also either benefit or contribute.

Happy brewing!

Nice one! Is the 75* mash out essential? I use the cooler box style set up...

Cheers

Clint
I would say it is useful but some skip it. If you have not been mashing out and have had no issues then no need to fix what is not broken.

I'm liking these videos too. Might be worth noting the names of some commercially available examples of the brew within the video, so people can hunt out something to try in advance.

I'm liking these videos too. Might be worth noting the names of some commercially available examples of the brew within the video, so people can hunt out something to try in advance.
Great, yes I have done that before and planned to do it with this one but the video time was rather long already!

Great video as usual David. Coincidentally, I just brewed my first Kevik beer and it was a Vienna Lager. People really loved it and the keg kicked Easter Monday. Just to test the Kevik's limits I brewed it at 35C and put it in the keg just 2 weeks after pitching. I thought it was a bit estery at first (I won't experiment with the temperature next time) but it was extremely young. In a very short period (2 weeks) of "lagering" I couldn't detect the esters any longer. I'm not sure if the profile changed or my abilities to detect did, but my opinion on the beer improved -- I really liked it. I will be doing it again soon.

Great video as usual David. Coincidentally, I just brewed my first Kevik beer and it was a Vienna Lager. People really loved it and the keg kicked Easter Monday. Just to test the Kevik's limits I brewed it at 35C and put it in the keg just 2 weeks after pitching. I thought it was a bit estery at first (I won't experiment with the temperature next time) but it was extremely young. In a very short period (2 weeks) of "lagering" I couldn't detect the esters any longer. I'm not sure if the profile changed or my abilities to detect did, but my opinion on the beer improved -- I really liked it. I will be doing it again soon.
Hi, Really it is best to stick at 25 deg c or below with Voss Gjernes kveik for lager styles. No actual lagering required then :)

IMG_20190902_212627504.jpg

It's been in the bottle around 2 weeks
Yes, that is darker. The usual explanation is that you suffered some caramelisation. Not a huge deal if it is not for competition and it still tastes on track :)

Thanks for the video David.

Quick question regarding the lagering process....Do i need to transer it into a secondary FV or the Keg for the lagering process? or leave it in the Primary FV?

thanks

Thanks for the video David.

Quick question regarding the lagering process....Do i need to transer it into a secondary FV or the Keg for the lagering process? or leave it in the Primary FV?

thanks
Hi Rich, A Keg or a Carboy are ideal. You need to protect it from oxidisation.

Thanks for the video David. I've made loads of Vienna lagers - one of my favourite beers. Never thought of doing a Kveik though. Will definitely give this a go though. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for the video David. I've made loads of Vienna lagers - one of my favourite beers. Never thought of doing a Kveik though. Will definitely give this a go though. Thanks for the inspiration!
Hope you enjoy the end result :)

Back