Vienna Lager yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyroo Brew

Reaction score
After two drinkable attempts at an AG lager, I’m planning to brew a Vienna Lager but not sure of yeast for the recipe.

Wanted a dry yeast if possible and thought about using a MJ M52. Any recommendations?

I would probably go with MJ M84 if you wanted to use a dry yeast.

My last Vienna lager I used WLP833 German Bock and it came out great

I’m not aware of an MJ M52, what’s that one?

I’ve made 2 Vienna Lagers - one with Lallemand Diamond and one with MJ M76 and both turned out great.

I did a couple of vienna lagers recently, one with mangrove jacks bavarian lager yeast M76 and the other with bohemian lager yeast m84.

I much preferred the M76. It really brought out the maltiness much more than the M84. I found the M84 also had a slight green apple off flavour that took a long time to go away, that the M76 didn't have and they were both brewed in the same fridge at the same temps. Think I started the fermentation at 11C and slowly increased to 16C over 10 days, then held at 18C for another few days for a diacetyl rest.

Do you mean M54 California lager yeast. This might be worth a try if you can't ferment at low temperatures. I've used it a few times and it makes quite a clean lager at 17-18C.

I made a Munich Helles with MJ M84 using a decoction mash and hopped with Mittelfruh. Apart from being under-carbonated, it's the best and most Germanic lager I've brewed. No hint of apple at any stage of conditioning.

I must state that I took 1/2 pack of the dried yeast and built up a 2L starter. So the yeast was a really healthy pitch.

I did a couple of vienna lagers recently, one with mangrove jacks bavarian lager yeast M76 and the other with bohemian lager yeast m84.

I much preferred the M76. It really brought out the maltiness much more than the M84. I found the M84 also had a slight green apple off flavour that took a long time to go away, that the M76 didn't have and they were both brewed in the same fridge at the same temps. Think I started the fermentation at 11C and slowly increased to 16C over 10 days, then held at 18C for another few days for a diacetyl rest.
Yes I meant M54! I’ve used it in my last lager and was really fast from its ispindel data as I set it at 18C but left it two weeks.

As an update:
Went with the M76 but used 1 packet at 10C. Got to OG 1.1010 after 7days so got away with it. Another week then 3days 18C diacetyl rest. Early tasting from 5 days in keg sounds promising apart from my ispindel was leaking but fingers crossed it will be ok in a few weeks time…

Latest posts

Back