Vienna Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking of a brew tomorrow using vienna and munich 1 for the base, my question is what other malts would i need, i want to try something other than bitter and pale ale, i have chocolate light and dark, crystal medium, roasted barley, melanoidin, pale ale malt all suggestions welcome acheers.

I would do 1/3rd of each - Pale, Munich and Vienna. You can then add a little chocolate and crystal to suit your taste, I tend to do 75-150grams of medium Crystal and 30 to 50 g of Chocolate with some carapils for head retention.
But you can vary it as much as you like to suit your taste use English hops and a little say Cascade if you prefer a slight American twist to the hoppage.
I use this in quite a few of my Ales its a bit like a Oktoberfest style and I am sure you will like it

Thinking of a brew tomorrow using vienna and munich 1 for the base, my question is what other malts would i need, i want to try something other than bitter and pale ale, i have chocolate light and dark, crystal medium, roasted barley, melanoidin, pale ale malt all suggestions welcome acheers.
Many thanks for asking this question; I was as thinking along much the same lines myself this afternoon.
Also thanks to @the baron and @thegrantickle for the on-point answers athumb..

You will never guess I am just about to whirlpool one of these with Pilgrim, Styrian Goldings and a little Summit (thanks to Doc Anna's freebies).
If you like a bitter with a little less bitter and slight sweetness you will like this style I call it my Triple Grain for obvious reasons

Go for it Rod either mine or Thegrantickle or a variant of. I think you will not be disappointed athumb..
Just remember it will have a good back bone so do not overdo the Crystal and Chocolate is my advice

Ok just a play with brew father
4F28A945-1292-411B-B99C-6B18B6106626.jpeg

I've brewed mainly hoppy AIPA with pale and either Munich or Vienna.. plus some wheat or oats or a bit of crystal...hops have been single or multiples of...magnum, centennial, cascade,citra,mosaic,cashmere,azzaca,Victoria,amarillo,columbus..
Just remembered...I have on my brew list a Vienna lager which has roughly equal amounts of pale, Vienna and Munich.

Latest posts

Back