Vienna Saaz SMaSH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mornin' all...

I'm planning to brew a Vienna Saaz SMaSH as my next brew but I want to run a few things past you...

Bitterness - as Saaz is a Czech hop, I'm planning to bitter as I would for a Bohemian lager, so 35ish IBUs. However, I might bring that down because the FG is coming out as lower than the style, so might give the impression of a more bitter, dryer beer?

Yeast - Bohemian lager or S-05 ale yeast?

Am I thinking about it too much?

Any advice welcome.

Yeast wise, if you are able to use proper temperature control and have had a good read up on the best ways to ferment a lager then go for the lager yeast (I’ve never done a lager but IIRC you might need 2 packs of dried yeast).

Otherwise go for a clean neutral yeast. I have a pseudo lager (a Propino / Herbrucker SMaSH) on the go at the moment with Mangrove Jacks M54 which is a steam beer yeast.

Hi Mick,

I don't have temperature control per se, however I do have a garage and I live near Edinburgh, so it's been <10°C since before Christmas.

I have a rarely used fridge in the garage which I intend to use for lagering as it's very cold indeed.

I currently have a Marzen type beer fermenting in the garage, so I might use a lager yeast and then properly lager it after.

You can make a good lager with just one packet of yeast and sound temp control. I haven't noticed a difference with one pack vs two.

Yeast wise, if you are able to use proper temperature control and have had a good read up on the best ways to ferment a lager then go for the lager yeast (I’ve never done a lager but IIRC you might need 2 packs of dried yeast).

Otherwise go for a clean neutral yeast. I have a pseudo lager (a Propino / Herbrucker SMaSH) on the go at the moment with Mangrove Jacks M54 which is a steam beer yeast.

Hi

Just wondering how this turned out using the M54?

Hi

Just wondering how this turned out using the M54?
Unfortunately it oxidised quite badly (naivety with my first brew in the Fermentasaurus) so was never drinkable, which was a bigger because I’d bottled some with special labels for my mate’s stag do.

I have used that yeast for California Commons a few times though and it’s a good yeast.

Unfortunately it oxidised quite badly (naivety with my first brew in the Fermentasaurus) so was never drinkable, which was a bigger because I’d bottled some with special labels for my mate’s stag do.

I have used that yeast for California Commons a few times though and it’s a good yeast.

Ok, thanks

I'm looking to make a lager for the first time and can't be faffed with all the low temp control and waiting so was hoping to cheat a bit and use the M54

Latest posts

Back