Village pub asked to change name by Vogue magazine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would go to there.
I went into a pub in Switzerland and I have to say I didn't get the warm fuzzies from the patrons there. It was like a movie where everything stops when a stranger comes in. I'm sure this was just an isolated incident.
Reminds me of 'The Slaughtered Lamb' in the film American Werewolf in London.

…..

If you want the experience to live dangerously here for an afternoon, go to a professional American football game in Buffalo, NY and wear the opposing team's hat or jersey.
1652548186564.jpeg

I always considered the terraces at an American Football match as a relatively harmonious event!

The photograph is at The Texans ground in Houston in 2009, when they played (and won) against The Seahawks.

I regarded the man who took the photo a “Friend” but after looking at the background ….. ?

Well, let’s just say that I have an almost identical photo of him and his wife at the other end of the bull.
:hat:

Er …. walking down a street on a hot summer day, past a pub with the windows open, you can hear what’s going on inside the pub; and even a 10 year old Derbyshire Tup can recognise English when he hears it being spoken.
Your correct in indicating that I didn’t know what they switched to after we walked in. It could have been Swahili for all I know, but all the people we talked to in the hour or so that we stayed seemed to be Welsh.
Finally, I cannot recall another occasion when a local fell silent when strangers walked in. Maybe, as a Welshman, you are more familiar with the practice.
Maybe it comes from years of being criticised for speaking your own language in your own country, but that’s probably a concept with which you’re unfamiliar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it comes from years of being criticised for speaking your own language in your own country, but that’s probably a concept with which you’re unfamiliar.
Er … exactly where did I criticise anyone for speaking their own language?

If I criticised anyone, it was the people who stopped a conversation in English and switched to a language I didn’t understand.

During my life I have visited over one hundred countries, but that situation has happened only once and it happened in Wales.

If you want the experience to live dangerously here for an afternoon, go to a professional American football game in Buffalo, NY and wear the opposing team's hat or jersey.
Please accept our commiserations that Buffalo finished up in our News today!

We hope that this news doesn’t affect you personally!

Please accept our commiserations that Buffalo finished up in our News today!

We hope that this news doesn’t affect you personally!
Thanks. It doesn't but the weight on the conscience, empathy for the people, sadness and so forth is present. I feel our conservative leaders continue to wind up the right. That the presidential election was stolen is going strong.
It was just chance that I even looked at the headlines on YouTube. Can you believe that insanity? Also, mass shooting in, I believe, Milwaukee, Wi. very recently.
Weirdly, I had mentioned Buffalo when I did. I was only referring to wild and drunk football fans who might mix it up in a relatively harmless way or a fight, not what happened.

The publisher has since said after "further research" it "did not need to send such a letter on this occasion".

Pub landlord Mark Graham said he found the letter "hilariously funny".

View attachment 68279

A village pub in Cornwall has had a letter from one of the world's largest fashion magazines asking it to change its name.
The Star Inn at Vogue, thought to be at least 150 years old, is in the small village of Vogue, near Redruth.
Vogue magazine publisher Condé Nast told the pub its name might "cause problems".
The publisher has since said after "further research" it "did not need to send such a letter on this occasion".

'Heavy-handed'
Pub landlord Mark Graham said he found the letter "hilariously funny".
He said: "I did think they were being a little heavy-handed, so I thought I'd send them a letter back - being heavy-handed too."
The company's letter, seen by the BBC, said "We are concerned that the name you are using is going to cause problems because, as far as the general public is concerned, a connection between your business and ours is likely to be inferred.
"Please would you kindly let us know what field of business your company is trading/intending to trade, and whether you will change your company's name in order to avoid problems arising."

Condé Nast wrote to Mr Graham after the pub registered as a private limited company on Companies House.
Mark Graham, who has been landlord with his wife Rachel for 17 years, wrote back, saying: "Whilst I found your letter interesting on the one hand, I also found it hilariously funny on the other."
Mr Graham told the BBC: "At first glance I thought it was one of the locals having a laugh, but apparently it is real.
"I explained to them that the village has been here for 200 years, the pub slightly less than that. We chose the name of the pub to be the name of the village."
He said he was had considered countering their claim over the use of the word because "we were there first".

Madonna had a hit song called Vogue, released in 1990, and Mr Graham told Condé Nast she had not asked the village for permission either.
The letter has also prompted him to consider further options, including setting up "our own parish magazine, called Vogue Magazine".
The letter from the publishers was sent in March and requested a reply within seven days, or it would take "appropriate remedial steps".
Mr Graham said he sent his reply within this time period and had since had a response.

'Regular monitoring'
Condé Nast said it was "grateful" for his reply, and to learn more about his business "in this beautiful part of our country".
It added its team "regularly monitor" the use of the name Vogue and was alerted through Companies House.
The letter said: "You are quite correct to note that further research by our team would have identified that we did not need to send such a letter on this occasion."
The company said it wished everyone in Vogue "best wishes for a happy summer".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-61435596
View attachment 68281
By sheer coincidence we were in this pub in February and are going there again tomorrow. It’s v handy when visiting my son in Cornwall. Great pub, landlord‘s a character, it’s a solid bet he’s got that letter on his wall.

I've heard more than a few Americans tell people they are Canadian. In fact I'm sure that that was unofficial advice to American travellers in the early noughties.

Not sure if I've ever felt overtly unwelcome, even in an Aberdeen pub for the England vs Argentina game in 2002 surrounded by Scots wearing Maradonna tops! 🤣
As an Englishman living in Scotland for most of his life, I generally avoid the pubs for England games and prefer to watch at home. Only time in recent memory I’ve ventured out was the Euros Final with my mates who are of Italian heritage (3rd generation). There was another Englishman with us too (a former lower-league/SPL professional footballer) and it was actually a pretty good laugh.

That was in the bar of the local cricket/rugby club in a leafy Dundee suburb though so nothing like going to the match in a city centre pub.

I was working in Glasgow doing some shop fitting in 1990, we went out to watch England v Cameroon in world cup.
Ended up in a bar in Sauciehall St , of course all the Scots were in Cameroon colours 😄.
Even though it was pretty amiable we kept a low profile, especially after England won though of course inevitably knocked out by Germany !

It's something I'm quite familiar with. I speak both Dutch and Frisian. I keep finding it strange that there are still so many people that won't aknowledge that The Netherlands has two official languages: Dutch and Frisian! The latter is even the oldest one!

It's something I'm quite familiar with. I speak both Dutch and Frisian. I keep finding it strange that there are still so many people that won't aknowledge that The Netherlands has two official languages: Dutch and Frisian! The latter is even the oldest one!
I’m not sure which is the “oldest” but in Belgium they speak French and Walloon! 🤔

Actually it's Walloon (French) and Flemish!
Er … this site explains in better than I could ever manage:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walloon_language
My only brush with the two languages was in a shop. I was trying to find something in French when the lass on the till said “You may speak English if you want to.”; so I asked her where I could find some cigarette papers.

After seeing the puzzled look she gave me, I then switched back to French and sign language to get what I wanted!
:D

PS

In a shop in Toulouse I was accompanied by No.1 son who wanted his thesis copied. Keith was born and raised in East Lothian, Scotland and doesn’t speak French so I had to translate for him when he placed his order.

After the lass handed him the copies to check she turned to me and said (in French) “I know you are speaking English, but what language is your friend speaking?”

Last edited:
Back