Vimto cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just thought I'd post up my recipe for my first ever turbo cider - vimto TC!

I booked a litre of sugar free vimto to get rid of any nasties and get rid of any preservatives
3 liters of apple juice from Lidl
A strong cup of tea
Added sugar until I got an OG of 1050
Bunged it in my DJ with some Young's yeast, yeast nutrient, pectolose and let it go do it's thing.

3 weeks later it had stopped bubbling and I bottled it with a carb drop per pet bottle.
Abv worked out at 5.3%
Left it for a week in my warm office and tried my first bottle the other day.

Vimto flavour really comes through and it's very smooth. However it is too sweet. The sugar free version has way too much sweetener. Going to do another but use regular full fat vimto and backsweeten when I bottle it.

Nick

I tried Ribena wine when i first started and i found boiling didn't get rid of the preservative which killed the yeast a long time before it had finished (.1020 if i remember right) so i stopped using anything with preservative in it and have never had one fail or be over sweet.

Hi guys,

I booked a litre of sugar free vimto to get rid of any nasties and get rid of any preservatives
A strong cup of tea
Bunged it in my DJ with some Young's yeast, yeast nutrient, pectolose and let it go do it's thing.

3 weeks later it had stopped bubbling and I bottled it with a carb drop per pet bottle.
Abv worked out at 5.3%

Vimto flavour really comes through and it's very smooth. However it is too sweet. The sugar free version has way too much sweetener. Going to do another but use regular full fat vimto and backsweeten when I bottle it.

Nick

Do you think it might of been the sugar from the apple juice from lydl as that stuff is rather sweet anyways.

I use co-op apple juice which is pure from concentrate which I find works.

Good recipe though cheers for sharing it 👍

Do you think it might of been the sugar from the apple juice from lydl as that stuff is rather sweet anyways.

I use co-op apple juice which is pure from concentrate which I find works.

Good recipe though cheers for sharing it 👍

I'm pretty sure it's the sugar free vimto cordial that made it too sweet. I can only imagine the amount of saccharin in a liter of vimto!
Tried another bottle just now, half n half with strongbow. Wonderful!!!!
In fact amazing, and I am NOT a cider guy.

Plan is to go to Lidl this weekend and stock up - 49p for 1.5l apple juice for this weekend only - and do a whole bunch of different TC in some five litre water bottles I've been collecting.
Another vimto (full fat) and maybe a whiskey flavoured one using the half bottle of bells I can't face to drink and try a summer fruit one too.

I'm pretty sure it's the sugar free vimto cordial that made it too sweet. I can only imagine the amount of saccharin in a liter of vimto!
Tried another bottle just now, half n half with strongbow. Wonderful!!!!
In fact amazing, and I am NOT a cider guy.

Plan is to go to Lidl this weekend and stock up - 49p for 1.5l apple juice for this weekend only - and do a whole bunch of different TC in some five litre water bottles I've been collecting.
Another vimto (full fat) and maybe a whiskey flavoured one using the half bottle of bells I can't face to drink and try a summer fruit one too.

The whiskey one sounds evil lol good luck with that one 😂

It can't taste any worse than bells whiskey!
My Yorkshire genes prevent me from chucking it, so might as well stick it in a TC and see what happens. I reckon it'll take a while to 'condition' though 😂

It can't taste any worse than bells whiskey!
My Yorkshire genes prevent me from chucking it, so might as well stick it in a TC and see what happens. I reckon it'll take a while to 'condition' though ������

It might blow your TC up hahahaha watch yourself fella 👍let us know how it goes 😉

Nice recipe - will deffo give this a go.
I’ve been using Lidl Apple 100% juice since making TC’s and WoWs and it won’t be that. I’m guessing as you it’s the sugar free . I’n going to try this with the full wham bam sugar as you suggest . [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

A strong cup of tea

Abv worked out at 5.3%

Nick

I know this is an old thread, but I used the same recipe and found the same that it is way too sweet. Apparently you can't get full sugar vimto since the UK government passed sugar tax.

Not sure what to do with it now, it's undrinkabley sweet! :(

make another batch without the vimto and when thats done drink it mixed 50/50 with your vimto version?

Yes could do, however I looked at getting some Vimto from Morrisons (The seemingly full sugar version) and it has sweeteners listed in the ingredients.

I have some plain apple on the go, so think I'll use the Vimto one to backsweeten that and see how we go :)

I redid this recipe with full fat vimto some time ago and it was awesome!
Even though it does still have sweeteners in it, not a lot and it wasn't sweet. However I would say it took a good 8 weeks before it came good. Up until that point it was rather harsh, but I've found that with most TC that it definitely takes time.
It was also very strong, as the apple juice plus a huge dollop of sugar from the vimto meant it was about 6.5-7% by the time it finished

Last edited:
I redid this recipe with full fat vimto some time ago and it was awesome!
Even though it does still have sweeteners in it, not a lot and it wasn't sweet.

That's good to know, I may give this another go then.

How long did yours take to ferment?

I know this is an old thread, but I used the same recipe and found the same that it is way too sweet. Apparently you can't get full sugar vimto since the UK government passed sugar tax.

Not sure what to do with it now, it's undrinkabley sweet! :(

I would wager the reason its too sweet is because it has not finished fermenting due to the preservative slowly killing the yeast (see my earlier post below) i have read countless similar threads about Ribena and Vimto wine and cider, i was given a tip by a long term member years ago when i first started out and tried Ribena wine and it went - "The best place for juice which has preservative in it is on the supermarket shelf" i have followed that advice to this day.

I tried Ribena wine when i first started and i found boiling didn't get rid of the preservative which killed the yeast a long time before it had finished, it took weeks to get to .1020 then didn't go any further so i stopped using anything with preservative in it and have never had one fail or be over sweet.

If you want to make cheap wine that tastes great try this - How to make Supermarket Juice Wine - HERE.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back