Vimto Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomsbrewz

Reaction score
Good afternoon people! i'm a newbie to home brewing so please be nice ha, I'm in the process of brewing some vimto cider (no added sugar vimto) already made the mistake of forgetting to boil the vimto before brewing will this be safe to drink/ is it saveable cheers any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome @tomsbrewz.
Just guessing here, but I think you should have used the sugary version, if there is one. The sugar will ferment whereas the synthetic sweetener will just stay sweet. Dont know if they use artificial preservatives, but if they do, it might cause the fermentation to slow down or stall. Maybe add a bit to the main batch, little by little until its all added.
No. Not a good idea to boil the vimto first.

But you sound as if you've already gone and done it so good luck. Hope it turns out well.

What was the full recipe?

it's in a 2 litre plastic bottle roughly 100g of sugar with a balloon acting as a air lock consistent warm temp for fermentation. it's been brewing for 3/4 days and I can see that there are bubbles in there so I guess thats a good sign I don't mind it taking longer to ferment as ive got plenty of other brews on the go also.
Aldi apple juice concentrate roughly 1.2/1.5L
and about 500/600ml of the vimto

thankyou for the warm welcoming :)

Vimto cider was one of the first turbo ciders I ever made and way before I read anything about preservatives or other things that will kill your brew, make your head explode, cause small children and puppies to die.
I did 2l apple juice
500ml full fat vimto
2l water (from the tap!!!)
Yorkshire tea (cup of, very strong)
Added some yeast nutrient and youngs multi purpose yeast and let it get on.
Took about 3 weeks to finish and another 3 weeks to clear, but it was bloomin lovely. In fact if you can leave it a few months, it's even better.

Back