Vimto wine problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druss

Mead Magician
Reaction score
Hi all,

I put together a batch of 'Vimto' wine last night using this recipe:

"Add 500g white table sugar to 1 litre vimto in a pot & boil for 15 - 20 mins to remove any preservatives, remove any scum that forms
Cool the vimto/sugar mix down to room temp.
Add to a demijohn and top up with bottled water to shoulder.
Add 1tsp of wine yeast & 1 tsp yeast nutrient.
Allow to ferment out then rack into another demijohn and wait to clear before bottling. Add one Campden tablet (crushed) per gallon, degass and wait 24 hours before bottling. "

So far it has only bubbled a few times, I thought I may have messed up adding the yeast so I activated some (I just chucked the first lot in the mix) and added that, but its not really doing anything. I've read so many stories of Vimto wine being a non-starter, should I cut my losses and give it to the kitchen sink so I can get on with a different brew (I only have two DJ's at the mo and the other one has a mead in it that seems to be doing well, just starting out!) or should I give it a few days? Any advice would be great :)

Cheers

Deano

It's on a shelf above a radiator, average room temperature 24 degrees C. It has bubbled a couple more times today so I'll give it a few more days in case its a slow starter.

Back