Visiting Wales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackIsland

An Ode to Beer
Reaction score
My wife and I are making a trip to the UK and Ireland in September, and while we have most of our itinerary fleshed out, we're still up in the air about Wales. Initially we were looking at spending a night in Cardiff after touring some of the sites in South Wales, such as Tintern Abbey, and enjoying some Brains Dark, and then working our way north to Liverpool to catch a flight to Dublin, staying one night in Liverpool. But after a bit of digging, we're thinking we might enjoy staying at some place in South Wales, then meandering the next day up to North Wales, then heading to Liverpool.

From South to North, what would be some of the quintessential Welsh sights you might recommend for a couple just passing through?

There's a lot of mountains, forests, moors and sheep. It's more about the countryside than anything specific. The coast is very nice too especially around Gower, Pembrokeshire, Harlech, etc.

Brecon Beacons / Black Mountains - small mountains, Snowdonia - bigger mountains, in between lots of rolling hills.

The Elan Valley (nr. Rhayader) is beautiful and the mountain road through it to Devils Bridge is worth a drive.

The first and only time I went to Wales, I got drowned by incessant rain. In fact, I spent the one night on a clifftop in Fishguard trying to stop my tent blowing away in some type of hurricane. As I left the next day, the sun broke through the clouds at the exact moment I crossed the border into England. True dat.

Gunge...you came to Wales,it rained (it’s not unusual)....see what I did there for chippy tea...your tent blew away,you looked like the boy from nowhere...clever eh? Nothing offensive in my eyes...

Sorry if I offended you... all meant in good humour! I liked what I saw of Wales except for the damn rain as I was on the motorbike. Obviously bad choice of day but WILL go again when I become a man of leisure.
ALl taken in jest

I love Wales. Favourite bits are the Pembrokeshire coastline around St David's and Snowdonia around Barmouth (but certainly not Barmouth itself!)

The best view in Wales is the sign telling you your leaving for England...
Hi!
I could never understand why, when crossing the Severn Bridge, you are charged when entering Wales, but it's free to leave.
Surely they'd raise more money if it was the other way around, wouldn't they?
:??:

Sorry just to clarify, I’m English the misses is welsh and we now live in ‘wonderful’ Wales. To be fair to a tourist it might look nice but there aren’t many facilities for those that actually have to live here.

Sorry just to clarify, I’m English the misses is welsh and we now live in ‘wonderful’ Wales. To be fair to a tourist it might look nice but there aren’t many facilities for those that actually have to live here.
what facilities are you lacking? I agree to a certain extent but you make you own facilities when you have so much open space

My wife grew up in North Wales and we spend a lot of time there still. The mountains and lakes are beautiful. There's quite a few historic castles along the north coast if you're into that kind of thing.

My wife and I are making a trip to the UK and Ireland in September, and while we have most of our itinerary fleshed out, we're still up in the air about Wales. Initially we were looking at spending a night in Cardiff after touring some of the sites in South Wales, such as Tintern Abbey, and enjoying some Brains Dark, and then working our way north to Liverpool to catch a flight to Dublin, staying one night in Liverpool. But after a bit of digging, we're thinking we might enjoy staying at some place in South Wales, then meandering the next day up to North Wales, then heading to Liverpool.

From South to North, what would be some of the quintessential Welsh sights you might recommend for a couple just passing through?

cardiff is well recommended you have tiny rebel, the queens vaults, zero degrees and brewdog on one street. swansea is meh but visit verdis in mumbles and cross the road to the pilot for a beer.
Worms head, rhossili on the gower or three cliffs bay on the gower need some sun to enjoy them the most.

Latest posts

Back