Vodka question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange

Reaction score
Hello all. It's been a while but my dad gave me a big bag of plums today so it's wine time.
I had a quick look in the new non brewed beverages section and it made me think of a question that's been bothering me for some time.
I like a neat vodka now and again, my favourite being Stolichnaya from Russia. I keep looking at the Grey Goose vodka, from France i think, and wonder if it's worth the £35 price tag. :wha:
Anyone tried it?

Stick to the Stolyichnaya, Smirnoff Blue, or go for Polish vodka like Absolut, the black label is really rather nice if you can find it, and at 50% ABV ithas a kick :)

I've tried the Grey Goose a couple of times and prefer Smirnoff Blue from the readily available 'high brow' vodkas.

Morrison's own label Vodka although it is part of "The best" range is reasonably priced for a spirit that is 43-44%. Very smooth and it did win a place in the international wine and spirits awards a few years ago.

Matt

All this fancy vodka is tosh, it's a cheap utlitiarian beverage, marketing guys made it fashionable but really the only thing you need to know about vodka is chill it, drink it and be glad you have it.

I can't taste difference between cheap and pricey, pricey is a little smoother as you'd expect but they both taste like "whatever **** we can grow in this god forsaken climate to get us drunk"

Megaross said:
All this fancy vodka is tosh, it's a cheap utlitiarian beverage, marketing guys made it fashionable but really the only thing you need to know about vodka is chill it, drink it and be glad you have it.

I can't taste difference between cheap and pricey, pricey is a little smoother as you'd expect but they both taste like "whatever **** we can grow in this god forsaken climate to get us drunk"

lol :D

Megaross said:

You can tell the difference between Uni student vodka (I think ours was either red star or Commasar or something similar) and something a bit better in how smoothly it goes down. The best vodka I've had was from a bottle that a guy had bought over from Russia. The second best so far was Morrison's "The Best" vodka.

Personally, I think Grey Goose is over rated. Stick with Stoli, much better vodka!

Megaross said:

Smoother is about it, although the good Polish stuff does taste different to me, but you're into micro taste sensations, nothing like the difference between an IPA and a stout.

I'll put tonic in the 'student stuff', and I sometimes just drink tonic as I like the flavour, but I wont put tonic in Smirnoff, Stoli or Absolut as they do taste 'better' as well as being smoother :)

Or, maybe, I'm a marketing man's victim :p :D

Latest posts

Back