Vodka question

Discussion in 'The Snug' started by orange, Sep 8, 2013.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1

orange

orange

orange

Hello all. It's been a while but my dad gave me a big bag of plums today so it's wine time.
    I had a quick look in the new non brewed beverages section and it made me think of a question that's been bothering me for some time.
    I like a neat vodka now and again, my favourite being Stolichnaya from Russia. I keep looking at the Grey Goose vodka, from France i think, and wonder if it's worth the £35 price tag. :wha:
    Anyone tried it?

2. Sep 11, 2013 #2

TRXnMe

TRXnMe

TRXnMe

Landlord.

Stick to the Stolyichnaya, Smirnoff Blue, or go for Polish vodka like Absolut, the black label is really rather nice if you can find it, and at 50% ABV ithas a kick :)

I've tried the Grey Goose a couple of times and prefer Smirnoff Blue from the readily available 'high brow' vodkas.

3. Sep 11, 2013 #3

MattN

MattN

MattN

Regular.

Morrison's own label Vodka although it is part of "The best" range is reasonably priced for a spirit that is 43-44%. Very smooth and it did win a place in the international wine and spirits awards a few years ago.

Matt

4. Sep 12, 2013 #4

Megaross

Megaross

Megaross

Regular.

All this fancy vodka is tosh, it's a cheap utlitiarian beverage, marketing guys made it fashionable but really the only thing you need to know about vodka is chill it, drink it and be glad you have it.

I can't taste difference between cheap and pricey, pricey is a little smoother as you'd expect but they both taste like "whatever crap we can grow in this god forsaken climate to get us drunk"

5. Sep 12, 2013 #5

MattN

MattN

MattN

Regular.

lol :D

6. Sep 12, 2013 #6

Brewtrog

Brewtrog

Brewtrog

(Not so) Senior Member

You can tell the difference between Uni student vodka (I think ours was either red star or Commasar or something similar) and something a bit better in how smoothly it goes down. The best vodka I've had was from a bottle that a guy had bought over from Russia. The second best so far was Morrison's "The Best" vodka.

7. Sep 13, 2013 #7

Zedilly

Zedilly

Zedilly

Regular.

On the subject of vodka, has anyone tried this stuff? http://www.blackcow.co.uk . I spotted it in the supermarket the other day and was intrigued.

8. Sep 13, 2013 #8

stevie1556

stevie1556

stevie1556

Landlord.

Personally, I think Grey Goose is over rated. Stick with Stoli, much better vodka!

9. Sep 13, 2013 #9

TRXnMe

TRXnMe

TRXnMe

Landlord.

Smoother is about it, although the good Polish stuff does taste different to me, but you're into micro taste sensations, nothing like the difference between an IPA and a stout.

I'll put tonic in the 'student stuff', and I sometimes just drink tonic as I like the flavour, but I wont put tonic in Smirnoff, Stoli or Absolut as they do taste 'better' as well as being smoother :)

Or, maybe, I'm a marketing man's victim :p :D