RO water.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How long do you think it’s safe to store RO water ? I usually prep mine the day before brew day and store it in 5 litre sealed water bottles . However my last brew day was delayed and I currently have 20L or RO water that has been sat in bottles for nearly 2 weeks now. Is it OK to use or should I dump it and start again ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I read was that because the chlorine has been stripped from the water so over time pathogens like bacteria, viruses or the fungi that it is there to inhibit could potentially grow. But that also there is virtually nothing in the water for it to feed from so it would be unlikely. Were your 5L bottles clean and sanitary and sealed this whole time?

Is it a massive pain to collect the water? To me 2 weeks seems a long enough time for anything nasty to bloom, if it was going to, so personally I'd dump it and start again... But I am also lazy and think what's the worse that could happen? If it
was in sealed sanitary bottles and is getting boiled for 60 mins I'd just use it without worry.

Two weeks is probably not ideal, but as its RO water, with virtually no minerals or other contaminants in it, there are no nutrients for anything to feed on. Also the water will be boiled as you brew, so nothing will make it into the beer.

Latest posts

Back