W-34/70 Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferosa

Reaction score
Hi, I made a brew on Saturday, using w-34/70 yeast, I pitched it at around 22c, just sprinkled on top of the wort, and moved it to my basement where it’s around 13/14 degrees.

after a couple of days the airlock is showing zero activity, and there’s no noticeable krausen, the yeast packet says it’ll ferment between 9&22c, so I figured my basement would be ok! Am i being impatient? I’ve not fermented at a lower temperature before, but thought I’d have seen some activity by now.

it’s quite a small batch (9L), so only used half a packet (6g), I was going to leave it another day and then try throwing the other half in and giving it a swill... bad idea!?

As a rule you should use at least twice the amount of lager yeast than for an ale so you should have pitched the whole pack. That underpitch, and the fact that it's cool will slow things down. You might want to rehydrate the remaining yeast and pitch it now. If you want some re-assurance that it'll be OK in the end then have a read of this.

Bugger! I spent all morning making the beer and then skimped on the yeast! Ok, will try rehydrating, should I drain off some worth and rehydrate in that?

I use this yeast all the time and it's a good'n even if it does stink a bit. I'll bet it's going nicely by the morning. If not, bring your beer back into the warm, rehydrate the rest of the yeast and pitch. Don't put it back in the cold until it's going. But I'll bet it'll be going like the clappers of doom by the morning.

Bugger! I spent all morning making the beer and then skimped on the yeast! Ok, will try rehydrating, should I drain off some worth and rehydrate in that?
NO. Rehydrate in warm water at 30C.
About 50 ml water. Sprinkle the yeast on top and leave it on top of the water. After 10-15 minutes, swirl it into the liquid. after another 15 minutes pitch.

Gonna bring it upstairs tonight, if there’s no sign of life will rehydrate the rest of the packet in the morning and hope for the best!... Cheers

I use this yeast all the time and it's a good'n even if it does stink a bit. I'll bet it's going nicely by the morning. If not, bring your beer back into the warm, rehydrate the rest of the yeast and pitch. Don't put it back in the cold until it's going. But I'll bet it'll be going like the clappers of doom by the morning.

This is probably the best plan.

You pitched then I expect went too cold too fast. It's working just going slow before getting to full throttle.

I just bought it upstairs and took a cheeky peak inside, there IS a small layer of krausen on top, and I think i even saw a little bubble pop. All is well I’m guessing. Phew! Won’t be so stingy with my yeast next time.

Latest posts

Back