W34/70 attenuation rate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
I made a Bohemian Pilsner and pitched a sachet of dry W34/70 on Saturday. There is clearly some action as a very fine, foamy krausen is present. My iSpindel only reports a drop of 7 points to 7.30 on Monday morning. I consulted the data sheet which recommended a fermentation temp of 12-15C, I have mine at 14.

What would you expect the attenuation rate to be at this temp? I’m not pressure fermenting - would there be anything to gain by fitting my Blowtie and raising temp to 20-21?

Paul.

This was my last beer with 34/70

nsJIP6Im.png

That was 2 packets. You can see it takes 48 hours to properly take off, which is a bit too slow for me, I'd much prefer a quicker start , probably should have pitched 4 packets . And is quite sluggish overall

You can ignore the FG as my iSpindel read far too high, the final attenuation was 80% . Which was annoying as I could have packaged it much sooner.

14C is a very warm lager fermentation although it is still a relatively clean yeast of course at that temperature. SO I would not worry at all

I seem to have the opposite problem! My 25 litre w34/70 batch took off fast (for this yeast) is not slowing down as it reaches 75% attenuation.

I made a 1L starter with 100g of DME 24 hours before brewday. 1 packet of this yeast pitched directly is considered an underpitch on 25L.

I know 15° is hot, but this yeast has always been fine for me at 15 and this isn't really a lager recipe given that the base malt I use is extra pale MO.

I'm fermenting under pressure at 75kPa and was a step mash (65°, 70° 25 minute rest at each.).

This is my first time pressure fermenting with this yeast. Previous brews with everything else the same had attenuation of 75% to 78%.

https://brewspy.app/share/b1581dr74d3ku6j3ds49g2013f

Latest posts

Back