Wanted: Experienced Mangrove Jack User

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was pleased with M-41 for a 10% ABV Belgian. It was my first time using Mangrove Jack's. I just sprinkled and waited ten minutes--before putting the lid on, not for it to be finished fermenting.
What do you think of two M-42's for a high ABV stout or Old Ale? Anyone with experience on this?

I've used it several times. Very neutral, IMHO. I've used it in milds, IPA's and Strong Ales, although nothing above 7%. I sprinkle mine on top, and it can give up to 24 hours lag before it really kicks off - this often catches me out and I'm starting to get worried when it suddenly goes mental. Finishes quite quickly, although not as quickly as Liberty Bell. More neutral than Liberty bell. Doesn't have that 'buttery' taste you sometimes get with Nottingham. I'd happily use it for a high abv ale, but would double pitch, and perhaps re-hydrate.

re-hydration counters the issue of up losing around 50% of the yeast when sprinkling on. for a low abv beer if doesn't usually matter but for a high abv brew or perhaps the yeast was not stored well it can make a big difference. I've done 20 litres of 12%+ beer with a single pack of mj's rehydrated yeast ( the one that says its suitable for 14%). Id use one of their begian yeasts (not the wit though)

Last edited:
@jjsh I've not re-hydrated before but I might try that. I add two packs automatically and yeast nutrients to everything (all my beers have been 10% ABV or higher). I have a spec sheet from MJ that says up to 12%. I know there are other factors involved and 12% isn't guaranteed. These Old Ales (making two batches) should be right around 10%. I used S-04 last time and it was fine but I want to experiment.

I use many types MJ yeasts. But I found the lag times sometimes a bit long, so I always rehydrate, or even add it to low OG wort the day before, so that it doesn't need to wake up and is at the correct temperature for pitching. Makes it also simpler for my brewing evening: rack wort into fermenter, pitch yeast, instead of trying to coordinate hydration with end of boil and cooling.

Latest posts

Back