Wanted: Newcastle Brown Ale Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notlaw

Dubbel Dragon
Reaction score
As a Geordie, I have fond memories of the old city centre brewery and I am still very partial to a bottle of brown ale. I know that the recipe was changed, maybe around the early 90s and a lot of blokes I knew, and mine and my mates dads, used to grumble that it wasn't as good as it used to be.

I'd like to have a bash at some stage of making something like it used to be for my old man. I know originally it was made out of two different beers; an amber, which I'd guess was Newcastle Amber Ale (God, I miss that stuff) and a darker ale.

Has anyone ever come across a recipe for it, or any guidance on where to start? I'll not be doing it for a while yet, but I'd like to maybe make it across the summer and have it nicely conditioned for the dark nights coming in.

The blended version was stopped a lot of years ago(60s maybe) and it was brewed as a single beer both at Newcastle and when they transferred it out.

I was there on the day that Bobby Robson pressed the plunger to blow up the S&N brewery bottling hall ,covered in dust and grit, sad day indeed in the Toon.

The blended version was stopped a lot of years ago(60s maybe) and it was brewed as a single beer both at Newcastle and when they transferred it out.

I was there on the day that Bobby Robson pressed the plunger to blow up the S&N brewery bottling hall ,covered in dust and grit, sad day indeed in the Toon.

Yes, I remember it well. I didn't go, I was at work that day, but as it all started coming down, it was horrible to see.

According to Wikipedia, blending ended after brewing moved to Dunston. The move took place in 2005.

Graham Wheeler has a recipe for a 'proper' blended version in one of his books - possibly the European one. I'll have a look...

I've got the European book somewhere but don't recall seeing Newcastle Brown.

Just found it - page 95 in my edition.

Basically he give two versions - a 1044/5% one and in the footnote a suggestion for a blended version.

Just found it - page 95 in my edition.

Basically he give two versions - a 1044/5% one and in the footnote a suggestion for a blended version.

Is it this book?

oqdn42.jpg

It's a useful little book. Bargain you got there, a few years ago I saw it for about £40 on Amazon and considered selling mine!

Bargain! I think I paid 5 or 6 times that.

By the way, I think that I only drank Amber when the Brown ran out. Any idea when they stopped making it? I saw a bottle a few years ago at the Hogsback Brewery but it looked pretty old.

It's a useful little book. Bargain you got there, a few years ago I saw it for about ��£40 on Amazon and considered selling mine!

Snapped it up when I saw it. Also ordered Andy Hamilton's Booze for Free, as the library have asked for theirs back... that one was 1p + postage. Happy days!

By the way, I think that I only drank Amber when the Brown ran out. Any idea when they stopped making it? I saw a bottle a few years ago at the Hogsback Brewery but it looked pretty old.

I think they must have stopped making the amber in the late 80s or early 90s I'd reckon. I remember all the skinheads and punks used to drink it when I was a kid.

I guess they stopped making amber when they stopped making the blended Newcastle Brown? Newcastle Brown changed hands, so the new owners presumably bought the Brown brand as it was a huge seller - whereas amber wasn't - so it was discontinued. I'm just guessing though. They will have scrapped the blended version and created a new one step version of Newkie Brown to reduce costs, and decided Amber wasn't worth brewing separately. Seems like the likely chain of events.

Snapped it up when I saw it. Also ordered Andy Hamilton's Booze for Free, as the library have asked for theirs back... that one was 1p + postage. Happy days!

I've just done the same - �£5 delivered tomorrow, I know Amazon are evil, but that is a bargain....:twisted::lol:

Latest posts

Back