Warm weather brew ideas?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honk

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've decided to dedicate my brew fridge to beer storage for the next few weeks so will be fermenting at ambient temperatures for a few brews,
I'm aware of techniques such as swamp coolers, damp towels with fans to help keep temperatures down but I'm also going to be selecting yeasts that can handle higher temperatures.
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for recipes (all grain) or styles I can try that are good for brewing and drinking in warm weather? I'm not a fan of Saisons.
Got the next couple of brews sorted, a session IPA using S05 and a Patersbier using crossmyloof Belgian yeast, any other ideas? Will probably stick to dried yeasts for simplicicity until I get temperature control back again.

I'm a big fan of nottingham yeast. It can be used up to about 27C. So anything you can brew with that.[/QUOTE
I hadn't realised Nottingham was good at such high temperatures, though I knew it was good at lower ones, tempted to use that for my session IPA now as there as been a packet in my fridge for some time.

I think a lot of brewers know about its cold weather/pseudo lagering properties, but it doesn't seem to be so well known its a good hot weather yeast too. I came across it when reading posts on Homebrewtalk about hot weather yeasts. There wasnt even much on it over there, just one or two posts iirc. So I tried it out. The ambient temp was 25C in my kitchen and I added a couple more degrees on the assumption that in the centre of the FV it would be warmer. I dont actually know how far it can be pushed

Voss Kveik or anything kveik based will work well at warm/ambient temps we are experiencing now.

Pretty much brew whatever you want and let the yeast do the talking.

Just done a NEIPA with Voss and just let it go. Pitched at 23c and just left it with blow off tube. Did not have an issue and was done within 3 days. Now dry hopping.

Many different kveik to choose from

Thanks, Kviek is something I shall have to find out more about.

I've got a feeling I'll be writing about the effects of warm weather on fermentation soon. Previously spare room has been at a constant 20°c. Brewed on Saturday and since then it's been around 22 and under for the most part, but hit 23 a few days back and now peaked at over 24 today. And that's outside the fermenter using m44 yeast with a recommended limit of 23°c :laugh8:.

I have a ceramic tiled kitchen floor which I use as a heat sink. I've just bottled a pale ale brewed with Gervin GV12 which I'm told is Nottingham. Tasted fabulous in my small sample so it appears to have survived a warm period during fermentation. Lets face it the average 24 hour temperature will be less than 20C in a draughty old house like ours!

I have a ceramic tiled kitchen floor which I use as a heat sink. I've just bottled a pale ale brewed with Gervin GV12 which I'm told is Nottingham. Tasted fabulous in my small sample so it appears to have survived a warm period during fermentation. Lets face it the average 24 hour temperature will be less than 20C in a draughty old house like ours!

Notty can handle the British summer temps pretty easily

I don't think it's the actual temp that causes me great concern,unless I was doing a true lager,it's getting it to pitch temp. With the ground water so warm the immersion chiller struggles. My last brew got to around 28 with the chiller then I stuck it in the brew fridge to bring it to the temp I wanted.

I've done no chill in a cube for the last few brews but tonight's brew, session IPA had a lot of late hops so I used the immersion chiller to get quickly below 80, added the 0 minute hops, then left it the pan ,cling film wrapped to cool overnight, hopefully will be at pitch temperature when I wake up tomorrow.

Heat sink through the floor won't work with my fermenter (on legs), nice idea though, Mrs has promised me a fridge for it (about 2 years ago) so maybe if I leave it in awkward places around the house, burping out CO2 I will get my second fridge.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying cool beer from fridge no 1 ( a monster that holds 5 Cornelius legs)

IMG_20190705_204257.jpg
Ha Ha, not quite, it's pretty tatty looking, but I picked it up on on eBay not realising quite how large it was, was in the house for months, as was I (Dogs house) but I've now made room in the garage for it and it's excellent for kegs.

Edit: can't seem to post photos any more, is that a known problem? Crashes out to Google when I attempt to upload photo, could be problem with phone at my end.

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_204213.jpg
    IMG_20190705_204213.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Sorted now, maybe a posting under the influence block.

I would never brag :tongue:

I’ve just discovered saison yeast isn’t always that saisony. I’ve just popped my first bottle of Coopers stout that I free-fermented with Mangrove Jack French Saison yeast. It must have fermented at at least 25C as the flat rarely gets colder than that and the brew cupboard is snug.
I’m not getting much funk - the stout flavours drown it out.

Latest posts

Back