warm weather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you do realise they have an expiry date of june 16 and not this coming june?:thumb:

I'm well aware godsdog. I'm willing to except a couple of grams from each pack might be dead . But with 12.5g packs on my mainly 11 litre batches I'm sure I'll get a decent result either way.

High temperatures do not mean you can't brew, it means you can't control the taste. Changing yeast will change the taste, so you can't experiment in hot weather without a brew fridge, because you don't know if the change in taste is due to temperature or some other change.

Early days I would try slight changes to a beer kit to try to improve it, more sugar, less sugar, licorice root, orange juice and all sorts to try and get the standard can to produce a better brew, the problem is I would get a good brew, but then could not repeat it.

I did not move to a brew fridge to brew in the summer, I got it so I could move brewing out of the kitchen into the garage, the problem with the fridge is it does not allow heat to escape, so once you start using it you need the motor to run until ambulant drops to around 14 degs. I had all sorts of ideas about leaving door open and only using a heater, but it did not work, once you move then the refrigeration is used 7 months of the year even though without putting it in the box you could with same yeast brew for 9 months without the temperature of brew changing.

However once you do move then you can start experimenting with the brew and get consistent results, including the time taken to do a brew, no longer are you reading the hydrometer every day, if the brew took 21 days last time, it will take 21 days this time. It makes brewing easy, I had four days when I looked at the brew, day one all stuff mixed and brew started in freezer, day two was 6 days latter when the brew was moved from freezer to fridge, day 3 was next day when the brew had settled again racking to clean fermenter, and last day was after 20 days bottling it. With a fridge/freezer I found the fridge does not cool, so start in freezer at say 19 deg, once first 6 days over want temperature to raise slightly so moved to fridge, set at 22 degs, since most fermenting finished at this point not longer needed refrigeration and the height of the fridge allowed racking, on day six once moved I could start another brew, actually day seven since only two fermenters so once racked I could clean the fermenter and start another brew. So average was a brew every 7 days.

But all this did not make the brew better, is was consistent I knew what it would turn out like, but not necessary better. If you move to a yeast able to take higher temperatures, and use it all year round, you can still get the brew to a set temperature, and get consistent results. Having temperature control is the important thing, it does not really matter if you keep the brew at 19 degs or 26 degs, assuming a yeast to suit those temperatures, it's the keeping the temperature the same each time so you can experiment with other things. It is pointless using some honey instead of sugar if you also change the temperature, as you will not know if the change in taste is due to honey or temperature.

Without the refrigeration I never had a beer I could not drink, some brews were better than others, but all drinkable. Yes those brews made in winter were better than those made in the summer, but I still drunk the summer brew, and if you get the brew started when it is cool then if the temperature raises after not really a problem, as long as you don't start a brew when it's hot.

I did start the brew on at the top end of the yeast range. I've always thought as long as it's at an in between temp for the first three days it'll avoid fusel alcohols.
Thankfully last night was a bit cooler so when I go check the fv in five mins it'll have dropped to a more comfortable temp.maybe then I'll wrap it up.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/mauribrew-ale-514-yeast-125g-best-before-june-16-p-2374.html

Hoping this link works. 65p for a expiring in June tolerant to 30c yeast!
I've ordered 7 along with 1kg of crystal to make it worth while (�£6.95 shipping). Total 12quid something. What a deal. Yeast will be going in the fridge. Do it the deal won't be around for long

Decent yeast this. I used it a 2 or 3 summers ago to make 3 stouts on the trot. At high temp I found it gave lots dark fruit esters. It isnt very flocctuant though

Decent yeast this. I used it a 2 or 3 summers ago to make 3 stouts on the trot. At high temp I found it gave lots dark fruit esters. It isnt very flocctuant though

Yes mate u advised me on this on a stout I did last year when temps were at an all time high.
Did a good job as it goes.

My wilkos wheat beer kit is in the fermenter just under 2 days now, and has been at a constant 26 deg. It says 18-20 is the optimal, is there anything i can do to save this or am i doomed to a wasted brew??

Thanks!

I made this and it works a treat, much cheaper than the big bags if you have some space for it; any big enough cupboard will do:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67918

Worked a treat for fermenting lager in my kitchen in the winter then I just took the finished beer into the garage to lager it. Would certainly shave a few degrees off the summer temps, but I only used it in the winter time so I couldn't say how many. Would depend how often you changed the ice I guess.

Biggest drawback: It's gone now. It worked so well that I've become addicted to making lager and have rearranged my whole kitchen to make space for a proper fridge so I can do it all year round.

My wilkos wheat beer kit is in the fermenter just under 2 days now, and has been at a constant 26 deg. It says 18-20 is the optimal, is there anything i can do to save this or am i doomed to a wasted brew??

Thanks!

Too late any damage is now done, however often if it's not to your taste leaving it for a time and then it seems to improve, I am drinking beer made June 2016 at the moment, may be that's a little too long to leave it, but leaving it does help. However some times the pressure does build up, using pop bottles is the answer, that way if pressure does build up you can release it.

Most the brewing is done in the first 48 hours, specially if too hot, at the correct 19 degs maybe over 4 days, by time you get to 7 days you can let temperature raise. What I found was using it to make a shandy the beer brewed too hot was not too bad and still drinkable.

Thanks!

if it came with a wheat beer yeast they can often handle 26 it could turn into a banana clove or bubblegum bomb which would for wheat beers be fine.

if it came with a wheat beer yeast they can often handle 26 it could turn into a banana clove or bubblegum bomb which would for wheat beers be fine.

I love the way all ur beers average 6%. This equals enjoyment and healthy fulfillment

Slap a big wet towel round it! The water will evaporate and drop the temp.

Before I got my cool bag I did this a few times

Works surprsingly well especially for getting those few degrees down for pitching when chilling wort in the summer can be difficult

Just to also Join in with MQ on this, I have one of these and it works really well.

Had a weizen beer at a consistent 18ºc in a room which last year I wouldn;t have dreamed fermenting in.. I have now stopped using the ice bottles to let it rise to 22 for the end of the weizen but the point is just because it isn;t a digital electronic system you can actually have a lot of control over your temps..

Just make sure you cycle swap your frozen pop bottle

hi guys and gals...question how do I brew in warm weather ?? I brew all grain (small batches) 3 gallon..i am very aware of temperature controle but I don't have a brew fridge, to be honest I am not sure what a brew fridge is...temperatures are high at the moment and I don't want to lose my brew to it ...so any advice would be welcome.....:doh:

As I also lack temperature controls, I've started using Hothead yeast - supposedly little impact on flavour within a very wide temperature range.

Just bottled my first beer with it so we'll see how it comes out, but the starter (with no hops added) smelled absolutely amazing. Bright and fruity, but without the sourness you get from a lot of Belgian/saison strains.

With a three gallon batch I'd get I few (3-4) 1 liter plastic bottles and fill 3/4 with water and freeze them. Next get a small plastic tub, place fermenter in it, fill with cool water and each day add 2 of the frozen bottles during high activity. Wrap in a damp towel and keep it in a dark cool place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh I cant remember now but i do believe it was a wheat beer yeast, i think i avg out around 22 or so in the end. Bottled after 5 days, good rounded banana aroma so primed with standard table sugar. My only concern now is the temp in our flat is always high, trying to find some shade is a nightmare! ha

Latest posts

Back