Washed LONDON ALE III 1318 or The Yeast Bay Vermont

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braindead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Doing a very expensive Rye NEIPA on Tuesday with 17g a litre of Cryo/Pellet hops.
I have a fresh vial of Vermont or several mason jars of washed 1318.
Ive never made a starter from washed yeast and dont want to eff it up. Theres seems a Layer of hop sludge under the yeast layer, would this be a problem
I just like the 1318 yeast for neipas
What u guys think?

Just for info the Vermont gets better the more you use it, I believe it says that on the vial.

As @Leon103 says it really gets going after about the 2nd use.

Try using the yeast pitch calculator on brewers friend. And then put in the data for using yeast slurry and see what volume you get. If you’ve washed it and it’s not too old then with the right volume I think you should be good to go without a starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Vermont is brand new.
The London 1318 is washed.
Just wondering which to use, I love 1318 find it better for NEIPAs
but never used it washed before so slightly anxious as the amount ive spent on hops and grain is insane

The Vermont is brand new.
The London 1318 is washed.
Just wondering which to use, I love 1318 find it better for NEIPAs
but never used it washed before so slightly anxious as the amount ive spent on hops and grain is insane

I know your worry’s. Basically if your that worried then go with the freshest / biggest pitch-able amount of yeast.

TBH of you have a good 500ml plus of London ale III and it’s not old then go with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doing a very expensive Rye NEIPA on Tuesday with 17g a litre of Cryo/Pellet hops.
I have a fresh vial of Vermont or several mason jars of washed 1318.
Ive never made a starter from washed yeast and dont want to eff it up. Theres seems a Layer of hop sludge under the yeast layer, would this be a problem
I just like the 1318 yeast for neipas
What u guys think?

Hm, I never washed yeast before. But I wouldn't risk it with an expensive grain bill. More with a straight SMASH, you know?

I'd go for safe, for the vial of Vermont. But that's me: better safe than sorry.

Im with you

made a starter and it looks a lil sludgy and green

Ive no clue what a starter looks like from washed yeast, it smells mint, like my last neipa
But dont want to risk it.
Argh!!!!

Think ill roll with the Vermont.
17g a litre x 23
plus 1.8g/l Ekuanot whirlpool

Latest posts

Back