Wasp stings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be different!

Headache tablets like your good lady says. Definitely.

Oh ... you'll need a few pints of beer to wash them down.

We have a wasp nest in our roof and the little b4st4rds are somehow getting into the bathroom (through the attic) I've killed around a hundred this week, I have no fear of them as I used to get stung when on my motorbike years ago and it was a mild irritation. My wife is allergic to them as we found out when we flew into Connington (Peterborough) and she got stung whilst we were having lunch outside, her arm went red all the way up to her shoulder, luckily it cleared up quite quick and we were able to fly back to our aerodrome.

No the chemical...it's what those men use who charge about £80 to kill the nest.

I know, we went shopping a few years ago and came back to a very loud buzzing noise (I thought the wife had left her toy on!) but alas there was a colony of bees in our shower room. We got a guy out and he killed them with Borax, cost us £90 back in 2010 (it was a bank holiday tho')

Funnily enough, we have a nest *somewhere* in our facia and their 'doorway' is right near out front door. I've brought some of that foam nest killer spray and tried spraying it through the hole they go in and out off but it's made no difference. I'm assuming the nest is too far away.

Ironically, none of them have stung me!

We’ve got a nest of bumble bees right outside the cat flap... one of my cats is a little worse for wear 😂
168C2264-5D56-41AB-98F4-71F5579E1F18.jpeg

Funnily enough, we have a nest *somewhere* in our facia and their 'doorway' is right near out front door. I've brought some of that foam nest killer spray and tried spraying it through the hole they go in and out off but it's made no difference. I'm assuming the nest is too far away.

Did they seem to stay away after your spraying? I looked on Youtube and the first spraying kills the adults but then the eggs hatch and more turn up, you need to spray a couple of times.

You're right @Clint about the vinegar, at least according to WebMD, but apparently you need to put it on soon after being stung, whereas I had to cycle 5 miles home first so I assumed it would be too late. It's an odd feeling when you can sense your head swelling under your helmet, lol.
bicarb for bees and vinegar for vasps

We discovered an ants nest in our garden last weekend. My wife thought it would be a good idea to attack them with a broom without my knowledge. I was cutting the grass with the mower & didn't notice a thing. But ruddy hell my legs were covered in bites or whatever they do, I was up itching them all night.
Rest assured I got my own back the next day & the ants suffered too. :laugh8:

Nippon Ant Powder liberally 'painted' around the entrance to the nest should kill off the nest, as the wasps take it in with them. If you dont want to approach the entrance to the nest you could do what I did which is to tie a paint brush to the end of a garden cane. And the foam is useless.

I got bitten by a French cleg but I had a venom vacuum handy and sucked out its saliva or venom and there was no swelling nor itching.

The old adage is bicarb for bees and winegar for wasps. It's very unlucky to get stung more than once as the sting has a barb to keep it in place and the bees dies when the sting is left behind. Oops, just realised yours was a wasp, not a bee.

Here's the vacuum I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspivenin-APV1100000/dp/B008K3KAKY

I could see a pink spray of my blood coming out of the bite site - very impressive.

Last edited:
Nippon Ant Powder liberally 'painted' around the entrance to the nest should kill off the nest, as the wasps take it in with them. If you dont want to approach the entrance to the nest you could do what I did which is to tie a paint brush to the end of a garden cane. And the foam is useless.
^^This^^ We get quite a few wasp nests each year and I get a pro out because I am potentially allergic which makes me a scaredy cat (I was rendered unconscious years ago on a yacht in Greece). He told me that the stuff he uses is the same as the ant powder, I guess the only difference is he uses a long pipe, sticks it in the entrance and blows it in, they are always all dead within a couple of hours.

Anthisan Bite and Sting 2% cream for the sting.

Oh and some advice, never poke a wasp nest with a plank.... I made that mistake last year... I thought one in our loft was abandoned, it wasn't.... I just about managed to get out of the loft before they stung me, and went back in with a can of Raid and a bug bomb.....

I won. Wasp stings don't bother me for long anyway, just itch for a day or so, then go away.

Latest posts

Back