Wasps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRook

Landlord.
Reaction score
A while ago the electric company sent a crew to take down a tree that was encroaching on a power line. Several days ago we noticed a bunch of wasps seem to have possibly taken up residence in the stump.
We had no wasps before the tree was removed.
IMG_20210808_092536.jpg

Water with washing up liquid poured over the nest will kill the whole nest if you can get it all down the hole (good on ground nests) appartently wasps breath through their skin and this seals it off, it worked for one nest we tried it on.
We have had six wasps nests this year, bought some wasp powder and a pressure vessel with long wand and it successfully killed them all.

If they are not causing any trouble leave them. They will disappear over winter.
only the Queen survives and she will build a new nest elsewhere. They will feast on aphids, grubs e.t.c., so can be quite beneficial.
We had a nest in the garden last year - gone now.
They would have set up home before now but are now just becoming active - I have seen one up to now this year

I used to gas as many wasp nests as I could years ago and used to get stung a lot not related to interfering with the nests. Now I just leave them alone and get stung a lot less not sure if it's a karma thing. I did get stung a couple of weeks ago just minding my own business not sure what that was about maybe she was just having a bad day. I find not many nests get away without the badgers digging them out though. I think wasps do have a roll to play in the greater scheme of things.

An important part of the ecosystem?
Yeah, that’s just fine to say until it’s your car that’s been keyed, and the tires slashed for the 4th time, and you don’t bother going outside cuz of all the used condoms, and you don’t even bother ordering stuff online anymore cuz they keep stealing the packages off your porch!
I tell you what, I miss the killer bees we used to have as neighbors. Cops were here every payday on the domestic disturbance calls, but they at least kept to themselves……

I have 'shared' my garage with a Bumble Bee nest this year, right next to my work bench. It is some what disconcerting trying to do a job with buzzing close to the left ear and the right at the same time! The new queens have emerged and they are great big things but soon this years nest will be abandoned.

The amusing snippet I learned was they use the same route to fly into the garage as they do out. - in this case through the keyhole of the side door, trouble was when loaded with pollen they were too big to get back in, so I had to fit a key cover so they now have to use other routes in or out

May I suggest
ZERO IN ULTRA POWER WASP NEST FOAM 600ML
£10 at screwfix. Can stand 4m away and cover the nest in insecticidal foam. Works great on wasp nests in the loft, just lift the hatch spray and back out the way.

Back