Quantcast

Water adj

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Cheyne_brewer

Reaction score
My water quality report online fromSevern Trent isn’t too detailed.

Hardness is 12.82 degrees Clark
pH is 7.89.

chloride is 19.14 mg/l
Sulphate is 17 mg/l

I’m guessing this will be ok without adjustments for basic ale styles, just half a Campden tablet for Chlorine/ chloramine?

crowcrow

Regular.
Reaction score
That looks far 'better' water than I have (the most recycled water in the country here I believe!) and I just use half a campden and leave it to vent over night.

Lately I've been using home filtered water - but not sure if it has improved things or not! It has all been pretty drinkable so far..

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score

pH is 7.89.

chloride is 19.14 mg/l
Sulphate is 17 mg/l

I’m guessing this will be ok without adjustments for basic ale styles, just half a Campden tablet for Chlorine/ chloramine?
Without having values for alkalinity and calcium it's impossible to say really. If you contact your water supplier they might be able to give you those figures, or better yet get the Salifert kits and test yourself.

mitch

Reaction score

pH is 7.89.

chloride is 19.14 mg/l
Sulphate is 17 mg/l

You could filter the water to remove the chlorine?

Im intending doing that for my first in a while TC brews which I will commence tonight!

crowcrow

Regular.
Reaction score
I believe filters do help remove chlorine to some degree, but I use a campden too and leave the water uncovered over night to let the chlorine escape.