Water Boil Off Problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one always has used Imperial measures - then that's fine, it will be easier for a lot of people I'm sure. After all we still ask for a 'Pint' in the Pub! -
not 530ml. For those of us who used the metric system in our working lives, as I did, then lit. Kg. and grams is no problem.
The thing is not to confuse UK & US Gals. etc.
Cheers

If one always has used Imperial measures - then that's fine, it will be easier for a lot of people I'm sure. After all we still ask for a 'Pint' in the Pub! -
not 530ml. For those of us who used the metric system in our working lives, as I did, then lit. Kg. and grams is no problem.
The thing is not to confuse UK & US Gals. etc.
Cheers

I think it's 568ml - are you serving short measures? :tinhat:

Sorry, that was Indian cups which is equal to 30/32 of a UK cup
completely encapsulates, in a very funny way, my own frustrations in trying to understand mash and sparge water volumes as an AG newbie. AG ( all non-kit brewing - BIAB etc) seems to be all down to the mash and sparge. Water volumes seem crucial, but I can't get hard - EASY - info, or its so (as per last 2 very funny posts) so convoluted as to be, well....I have several 2nd hand paperbacks by graham wheeler, who I understand to be the godfather of brewing: in his "brew your own real ale at home", published in 1993 with roger protz, he writes (P. 169 in my paperback): ""Estimated quantity of mash required. Not a particularly important parameter - it makes little difference. Use as much or as little mash as you wish". Which leaves me in a right tizz. My attempts at ag and biab have been tragic, volume-wise, turning gallons into pints - like like Steve martins 1970's stand-up riff: "I'm writing a financial guide: how to turn 30 million dollars in real estate into 10 dollars cash".

Last edited:
My boil of rate is about 0.05L per minute, so for a 60 minute boil this comes to 3L or for 90 minutes its 4.5L.

My FV target is 23L... + 2L mash tun dead space... + 1L per kg of grain... + 3L for 60 minute boil... I have 0 boiler dead space as tip it into the FV.

So for a brew with 4.5kg of grain and a 90 minute boil would be... 23 + 2 + 4.5 + 4.5 = 34L total water

Try not to mix US, Imperial and metric together... convert the recipe into metric first for simplicity.

My boil of rate is about 0.05L per minute, so for a 60 minute boil this comes to 3L or for 90 minutes its 4.5L.

My FV target is 23L... + 2L mash tun dead space... + 1L per kg of grain... + 3L for 60 minute boil... I have 0 boiler dead space as tip it into the FV.

So for a brew with 4.5kg of grain and a 90 minute boil would be... 23 + 2 + 4.5 + 4.5 = 34L total water

Try not to mix US, Imperial and metric together... convert the recipe into metric first for simplicity.

Thanks mate, yeah the us system has confused me...

Like a lot of others I do full BIAB and for 5kg my total water is 32.84L so others have put 34L or 32L for their setups which include mash and sparge..

I think you want to look at that as a starting point and trial and error it a bit that way, then dial the numbers into some brewing software and tweak as you go..

I do agree with the sentiment to sticking to one unit of measurement though 5 gallons then adding 5 liters on for this and that is probably going to get mixed up at one point.

I would highly recommend trying brewfather app - https://web.brewfather.app

After you set your profile it will calculate your water volumes automatically from the recipe.

I have no affiliation with it but tried a few different software for brewing and found this to be by far the best. I use it for every brew, after a few I decided to get the premium version, however the free version is not missing much.

Your right my apologies, getting gallons and litres confused!
So you're using 12.5 L to produce a 5L brew? Is that right? But you're brewing in a 32L boiler?
That accounts for the large starting volume compared to the end - the boil-off rate from a 32L boiler will be more or less the same no matter what the volume of the brew is because it's determined by the vigour of the boil and the surface area. I'd expect the boil to be more vigorous in a small brew than a large one as the element you're using is the same size. So you're losing 7.5L of water. Now it doesn't seem so daft. I'd be expecting to lose about 5L, but that would be in a 20L brew.

Back