Water filled Airlock or CO2 bung?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramblepear

Reaction score
Ive always used the water filled airlocks for wine fermentation in the demijohns. How effective are the CO2 releasing bungs?

this is it. Not sure if it would cope with initial fermentation or whether just for racking, but allowing co2 release in absence of air entry ?

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 38
Water in air-locks? Pfft! Surely it's small batch vodka at the very least? 😃

I have those,They are not meant to cope with the co2 from an active fermentation.

They are more a safety bit of kit for wine maturing in demijohns.
Agreed - long term storage only. I you're worried about normal airlocks - ether use glycerin in them (won't dry out) or some water with steriliser in. Also use the red cap or a bit of cotton wool to stop the beasties crawling in.

Hi all,

trying to latch onto a recent thread. Might seem like a daft question but does anyone know how the clear lid should sit on the airlock? I’m not sure if it should click done or sit loosely top. It’s one of the small, clear ones that interlocks.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

trying to latch onto a recent thread. Might seem like a daft question but does anyone know how the clear lid should sit on the airlock? I’m not sure if it should click done or sit loosely top. It’s one of the small, clear ones that interlocks.

Thanks in advance.
I think you mean the air locks that are like two little jars one inside the other? If so, the lid clips down.

Back