Water Filter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petrolhead

Regular.
Reaction score
I was reading the article on Jim’s website where he lists the 11 mistakes all new brewers make.

One of his tips is to use bottled water or a water filter so I did a bit of googling and have just bought an in line active charcoal filter off fleabay for £15. Had some great recommendations and strips out the nasties from the water.

Can’t wait to try it, does anyone use something similar?

Ro system. 120 bucks including pump 2 charcoal filters a sediment filter and a Ro membrane.

Problem was i went from a super soft Scottish spring to chlorine overdosed pond water and noticed it too strongly. Couldn't even drink a glass of the stuff.
It's ideal though, super easy to get any water profile by chucking in a few salts. Problem is it takes hours to fill the buckets before brewing

Problem was i went from a super soft Scottish spring to chlorine overdosed pond water and noticed it too strongly. Couldn't even drink a glass of the stuff.

The problem with RO systems is that the filters and membranes are all expensive and all need replacing on a fairly regular basis.

Have you thought of using a UV steriliser? Something like this one ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07926HV33/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... will give about 4 litres per minute at about 2.5p per tonne of water for initial installation and 1.01p per tonne of water after bulb replacement ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IPIHHX2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Pond water would still need filtration but filters are easily (and cheaply) replaced. They use UV systems extensively to sterilise the drinking water on ships; including those that use RO systems to make potable water.

PS

For many years I lived up Glenkindie where we got our water directly off the hill at the back. Coming back home after up to two months on rigs, platforms or ships my first drink when I got back home was always a pint glass of water straight out of the kitchen tap.

The second glass that I drank was marginally smaller and filled with the good stuff ,but nothing beat that first glass full of water off the hill!

I have a Brita tap with a filter cartridge, a glass of water tastes much better than standard mains water.
I use it in my brews but can't say I've noticed a difference in the finished beer.

The problem with RO systems is that the filters and membranes are all expensive and all need replacing on a fairly regular basis.

Have you thought of using a UV steriliser? Something like this one ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07926HV33/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... will give about 4 litres per minute at about 2.5p per tonne of water for initial installation and 1.01p per tonne of water after bulb replacement ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IPIHHX2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Pond water would still need filtration but filters are easily (and cheaply) replaced. They use UV systems extensively to sterilise the drinking water on ships; including those that use RO systems to make potable water.

PS

For many years I lived up Glenkindie where we got our water directly off the hill at the back. Coming back home after up to two months on rigs, platforms or ships my first drink when I got back home was always a pint glass of water straight out of the kitchen tap.

The second glass that I drank was marginally smaller and filled with the good stuff ,but nothing beat that first glass full of water off the hill!
Yea it's good stuff. Our water used to be straight off an argyll spring, but now it comes out of a river that runs from a loch with a fish farm in it. And it's semi privately owned so the estate manager obviously pours a tonne of chlorine and such into it to kill all the nasties..
In fairness I'd probably be fine without the membrane, but i figure i don't mind paying a bit extra to get rid of any lingering farm chemicals. Been a year and a half and still working well.

I use RO and have not replaced the filters in over 3 years and I still get the same ppm.One of the best things I have bought for the house. Filling a jug 2l a time though is a proper pita so I need a new one to plug in outside exclusively for brewing.

Yea it's good stuff. Our water used to be straight off an argyll spring, but now it comes out of a river that runs from a loch with a fish farm in it. ..........

Ouch!

Have you ever though of sinking a well in the back garden? Seriously, if you are alongside a river then the water-table should be fairly shallow so it wouldn't have to be all that deep; and filtering the water through a few metres of land will do wonders for getting rid of any nasties.

Almost all "off the hill" water can be cleaned up by passing it through a cistern filled with sand (that acts as a filter) and broken oyster shells (that takes away most of the acidity).

Believe me, after suffering the depredations of Anglian Water (and paying through the nose for stuff that falls out of the sky), I would love the challenge of designing and building something like that.

I have a big berkey gravity filter which I bought when living in Bucharest. The tap water there was disgusting (apparently drinkable) and I got fed up carrying bottles of water from the supermarket.

It works great, I just need to save up a fair bit of filtered water for a few days before brewing. The filters need cleaned about once a month but should last about 10 years.

I bought a gravity filter, not a Berkey unfortunately but another brand. We all became ill and after a week or so I realised the water smelled mouldy. Perhaps they skipped the silver in the filters. Company told me that was impossible. I bought the RO after that.

I've been using the filtered water from our fridge - it's got an inline charcoal filter which definitely makes the water taste much better, so I figured it can't hurt when making beer.

Ideally I'd like to install a larger inline filter on the main kitchen tap, so I can fill the brew kettle faster, and to avoid the waste of heating already chilled water (although the tank in the fridge is small so probably most of it isn't that cold).

I got one of these from screwfix a few weeks ago, but for some reason they use weird NPT threads unlike every other plumbing fitting in the UK, so I returned it - looking out for something similar which will be easier to fit (e.g anything with standard BSP or push-fit fittings!)

If anyone has reconsiderations of inline under-sink systems I'd be glad to hear them - not looking to go full RO yet due to cost and space available to install.

Please Check out Post #5 above for a Jabsco System. (It has a conical connection that allows a tube to be fitted with a Jubilee Clip.)

I did check that but not sure how I'd plumb it inline for under-sink installation - could definitely work if I only use it for brewing and have a hose connector or something though, thanks! athumb..

Currently looking at https://www.finerfilters.co.uk/finerfilters-whole-house-water-filter-system.html which I could install inline for the kitchen tap and should flow much faster than the current 1/4 pipe setup on the fridge.

If anyone has reconsiderations of inline under-sink systems I'd be glad to hear them - not looking to go full RO yet due to cost and space available to install.
I use a cheap little RO unit which I only connect up when I need it. I put a couple of valves on it so that I can store it full of water to stop the membranes drying out, but I just keep it in a bag and connect it to the outside tap when I need it.

I use a cheap little RO unit which I only connect up when I need it. I put a couple of valves on it so that I can store it full of water to stop the membranes drying out, but I just keep it in a bag and connect it to the outside tap when I need it.
How long does it take you to gather 10 litres of water?
Cheers

Back