Water for a Munich Helles

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Reaction score
Winter‘s here and it’s time to get a lager on the go. Planning a Helles but struggling to get my head round water profiles. I’m going to brew John Palmers recipe from How to Brew.
He recommends
Mg 10, Ca 50-100, Cl 50-100 and SO4 0-50
I’m starting with
Mg 6, Ca 42, Cl 20 and SO4 54

First thought was to add 0.15g/L calcium chloride to bring the Ca and Cl up to the desired levels and CRS to drop alkalinity to 20ppm (it usually comes out between 70 and 90 when I assay it on brew days) and live with the lower Magnesium.

Other sources recommend a more balanced Cl to SO4 ratio, and actual Munich water is Cl 8mg/L and SO4 18mg/L apparently.

I’m looking for crisp malt flavours balanced with the hop notes (I’m using German tradition and Saaz) and a dry finish which would have led me to think a more balanced Cl:SO4 profile would be appropriate.

Has anyone any ideas on what would work best?

emerson909

Reaction score
Your water looks pretty good for helles, I would just add acid to get to 5.3 pH, see what that batch tastes like and adjust from there

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Reaction score
Your water looks pretty good for helles, I would just add acid to get to 5.3 pH, see what that batch tastes like and adjust from there
Thanks for that. I’m just a bit worried about the bitterness level. I lean towards a Cl:SO4 on the right side of 1.5 for starters with fairly minimal additions only being required. And see how that turns out.