Water treatment calculator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Burnley

Regular.
Reaction score
I've just put my numbers (online United Utilities average values) into the homebrewforum water calculator, and it is showing that I don't need to add any CRS (for bitters & pale ale's)

However when I transfer the results into brewfather its showing the PH at 5.48, do I add some lactic acid to get it down to 5.20 or is brewfather telling me lies :laugh8:

There is the possibility that I am misunderstanding what CRS is for

Thank you athumb..

Some years ago I found Palmer's RA Worksheet. It is a download and works well. It also calculates acid addition for mash pH.
There are separate downloads for liters/EBC and gallons/SRM. Perhaps, the most important part is the Residual Alkalinity. It has made a difference in my brewing.

I've just put my numbers (online United Utilities average values) into the homebrewforum water calculator, and it is showing that I don't need to add any CRS (for bitters & pale ale's)

However when I transfer the results into brewfather its showing the PH at 5.48, do I add some lactic acid to get it down to 5.20 or is brewfather telling me lies :laugh8:

There is the possibility that I am misunderstanding what CRS is for

Thank you athumb..
Alkalinity and pH are very different things. Bicarbonate and hardness are also different. Depending on the style of beer you are making and your waters alkalinity, you will need to adjust it accordingly with CRS.

When it comes to online calculators, o have found that some of them vary quite a bit. It's difficult to know what is right and what is wrong. I would love someone to tell me the absolute best one to use but so far that hasn't happened.

Latest posts

Back