water treatment for wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurp

Reaction score
I have just bottled my california conasiour rioja wine kit and now started to think should i have treated the water i never bother for brewing beer but is there an ideal water for wine .I have slightly acid water with no limescale

There is no requirement to treat water for wine.
I believe that for kit wines soft water might be more desirable . . . . . but have no evidence to back that up ;)

i've never bothered to look into it further than removing chlorine; boiling all the water i use, or using campden.

looking around a little more i have found a mention of mineral flavours coming from limestone. It was mentioned at the end of a section on spoilage flavours. Chances are that it was written by a serious grape wine buff, and being at the end of the list only reassures me that there is little to worry about regarding water.

Thinking about this from a scientific point of view - when the grape juice is concentrated via vacuum evaporation all that is being drawn off is pure water?

Surely it stands to reason that when making a wine kit, all that should be added back is pure water?

That being said, the wine I've made from kits has been fine with only a treatment of campden tablets to remove chloramine.

That said, has anyone done a side by side brew with treated / untreated water to see if there is any perceivable difference? :hmm:

Latest posts

Back