Water Treatment with Campden Table (Timing)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigsby666

Reaction score
Guys, I'm making a kit beer (malt extract), normally I would add a half campden tablet into 20L of water, prepared in a separate container before I need it. But I don't have that container to do it with this time, as it's being used for something else. My normal process is add the tin content (malt) in to FV along with any sugar or DME, and some treated and heated water and get that all mixed up and dissolved and then add the rest of my pre-prepared water. However this time, would it be okay (and will it still be effective and lock up the chloride/chloramine) if I add the campden into the water at the end, and just stir it in when I'm aerating the mixture before adding the yeast?

Last edited:
I always add half a camden tablet while aerating the hell out of the mix using a cordless drill & paint paddle. The bucket is usually too hot at this stage, so the yeast is sprinkled in a few hours later. Never had any problems with the yeast taking off, and no medicinal tastes, so the chlorine must be driven off fairly fast.

The drill aeration is almost as satisfying as drinking the results :cool:

Apparently not. From a thing I read chloramines react with the thing that causes badness really super quickly.
I always add half a campden tablet while aerating the hell out of the mix using a cordless drill & paint paddle. The bucket is usually too hot at this stage, so the yeast is sprinkled in a few hours later. Never had any problems with the yeast taking off, and no medicinal tastes, so the chlorine must be driven off fairly fast.

Thanks guys. So, the key seems to be in the timing. If I stir it in at the end, and then maybe if I cover and leave the mixture for an hour or so that should give time for the campden to lock up the chloride/chloramine before adding the yeast. That sounds like it should work.

I always add half a camden tablet while aerating the hell out of the mix using a cordless drill & paint paddle. The bucket is usually too hot at this stage, so the yeast is sprinkled in a few hours later. Never had any problems with the yeast taking off, and no medicinal tastes, so the chlorine must be driven off fairly fast.

Many thanks for this advice - giving campden tablets a go for the first time in my quest to produce beer that doesn't taste of homebrew.

Another good tip for removing the homebrew taste with beer kits is to use warm water instead of boiling water.

I'm no scientist, so I honestly don't know if its possible to burn malt extract, but I found boiling water introduced a bitter and almost burnt off-taste that never went away, Removing the chlorine and that burnt taste really improved my brewing and allows the hop flavours to shine through.

Eliminating oxygen exposure is my next ambition, I'm not sure if it will make much difference but I'm having fun experimenting :cool:

Back