Water!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerJ

Reaction score
Afternoon,

beginner here. The more I’ve been delving into the world of AG videos / research etc, it has led me to wonder how important water treatment is. I normally just use tap water (I believe it’s quite hard in my area). Is this a problem?

Also I plan to fill my kettle tonight and leave the water in ready for switch on tommorow afternoon, will this give me any problems

Afternoon,

beginner here. The more I’ve been delving into the world of AG videos / research etc, it has led me to wonder how important water treatment is. I normally just use tap water (I believe it’s quite hard in my area). Is this a problem?

Also I plan to fill my kettle tonight and leave the water in ready for switch on tommorow afternoon, will this give me any problems
Leaving the water overnight should be no problem - in fact any free chlorine will have dissipated, which is not a bad thing.
You can usually obtain a very basic analysis of your water by Post Code from the website of your water provider. Once you have this information, I suggest having a look at the Water Treatment Guide here:

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ore-advanced-water-treatment-in-post-1.64822/

I agree with everything @Slid says there :-)
I think it's worth saying that you can make beer with pretty much ANY kind of tap water, but some types of water are better suited to certain types of beer.
So although you'll find a lot of discussion about water treatment, it's probably not something to worry too much about just yet unless you're trying to brew something like a lager with really hard water (that is possible, but probably not a great place to start).
The only exception I'd say is that it's almost universally recommended to mix half a finely crushed Camden tablet into your water, as it will neutralise both Chlorine and the more tenacious Chloramine. The problem with those fellas is that when they come into contact with organic molecules they produce compounds that even in tiny quantities can be tasted in the finished beer.
Good luck with your brewing, and bravo for looking at AG - it's worth every bit of the effort!

I think it's worth saying that you can make beer with pretty much ANY kind of tap water, but some types of water are better suited to certain types of beer.
So although you'll find a lot of discussion about water treatment, it's probably not something to worry too much about just yet unless you're trying to brew something like a lager with really hard water (that is possible, but probably not a great place to start).
The only exception I'd say is that it's almost universally recommended to mix half a finely crushed Camden tablet into your water, as it will neutralise both Chlorine and the more tenacious Chloramine. The problem with those fellas is that when they come into contact with organic molecules they produce compounds that even in tiny quantities can be tasted in the finished beer.
Good luck with your brewing, and bravo for looking at AG - it's worth every bit of the effort!
Thank you for the reply!!

Thanks for the reply! What size cambden tablet do you reccomend. I see there is diffrent sizes haha! Do you have an Amazon link of ones you use? Thanks

AFAIK a “camden tablet” should contain a standard amount of Sodium Metabosulphate regardless of its physical size.
To remove chlorine / chloramine, half a tablet is sufficient to treat 30L.
Note that they don’t dissolve that easily so you need to grind them up

If you buy Campden tablets from Wilko they are roughly to size of the small aspirins.
Ps a tube of 100 tablets will last yearsathumb..

AFAIK a “camden tablet” should contain a standard amount of Sodium Metabosulphate regardless of its physical size.
To remove chlorine / chloramine, half a tablet is sufficient to treat 30L.
Note that they don’t dissolve that easily so you need to grind them up
Legend thank you. I’m an engineer aswell. Ohhhh friends

Hello,
At what stage do you add your camden tablet? Also how long do you leave it before you heat the water for mashing.
from what I’ve read so far the humble camden tablet may take the odd taste out of my beer with little effort.
Cheers

Dan

Hello,
At what stage do you add your camden tablet? Also how long do you leave it before you heat the water for mashing.
from what I’ve read so far the humble camden tablet may take the odd taste out of my beer with little effort.
Cheers

Dan
I use powder rather than tablets and adding it to the water is the first thing I do before I set up my equipment.

Better off with the tablets, the powder, once it has been open to air degrades quickly.
I’ll bear that in mind next time round. Plus I’ll be sure to squeeze as much air out the park when storing it. Thanks for the information on the degradation.

Better off with the tablets, the powder, once it has been open to air degrades quickly.
I didn't know that. I bought 100g of smb and they sent 200g so I have enough for two lifetimes of brewing. I keep it sealed as best I can but interesting to hear this.

Do you have anymore info please? I guess I could google it myself ;)

I have always used tablets , much cheaper and all I do is crush them added to a little warm water stir for a few seconds and bung it in ; never fails 👍

I have to say I’m excited to get my next brew on just to try this out. I’m current dosed up with covid which is putting me off emptying my kegs. I may just order the ingredients tonight for a nice simcoe smash.

Latest posts

Back