Waxing/oiling wooden floors/stairs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True that you get what you pay for with tools but for a one off job like this I wouldn't hesitate to recommend aldi/lidls power tools. I've used their grinders and drills for engineering and fabrication work for years and there's nothing cheap and nasty about them, they wont last as long as top brands high end products but they'll take plenty of abuse all the same.
EDIT: Aldi/Lidl's abrasives are **** btw, you'll get much more bang for your buck with good quality brands.

Last edited:
True that you get what you pay for with tools but for a one off job like this I wouldn't hesitate to recommend aldi/lidls power tools. I've used their grinders and drills for engineering and fabrication work for years and there's nothing cheap and nasty about them, they wont last as long as top brands high end products but they'll take plenty of abuse all the same.
If their sander is as good as their steaks then I would snap one up wink...wink...

Unless you need to remove stubborn paint or rough parts of wood then 120 grit should be fine. 80 would be enough to sort out rough parts.
I wouldn't over worry about sanding too smooth on an old stair case as when you clean up with meths before you oil, the grain should open up. It tends to be more of a problem if the wood is impregnated or has had a lot of coats of penetrating oils and varnishes previously.
Whatever oil or varnish you use, make sure you rub it down by hand between coats, ideally with something a bit lighter than 120. Ideally finishing paper.
I can't really review sanders but the old adage applies that you will get what you pay for. If this is the only job you need it for then go cheap but I would guess it will be 1 speed and either not as brutal as you need it to be or so vicious it's trying to get away from you like a home sick salmon. Either way, make sure you wear gloves if you still want to be able to hold your beer after a day of sanding 👍
And a dust mask, do you know if the old paint might contain lead, if so, be careful

No ..carpet just gets ruined.... Pip the JRT is bonkers.
We have a wooden floor in the living room and is full of dents and scratches and it's one of those engineered floors that are hardened but built to last. This is the next project in the house and if it does not work out then I can get it replaced as that is what the missus wanted but is willing to try. 18'*14'..
Its all flat with stairs, doors and fireplace being the exceptions and hopefully won't be as tedious as your stairs. It will be worth it when you're finished @Clint...

I'm not looking for it to be absolutely perfect as I'm not capable,got the time and too tight for that. Chucking money away on carpets is something I'm not doing any more as long as it's clean and half decent it'll do for me.

Well...I've made a start...I applied Nitromors to the paint and it didn't want to come off without extra scraping...so I nipped out and bought a heat gun...which seems to have little effect bar scorching the wood...so..having re-read the Nitromors instructions (I did it wrong!) I seem to be getting somewhere...it's not easy.
I did a bit of test sanding on a paint free bit and it looks nice...well, good enough.

I've massacred this today...all sanded. The darker tread area in the middle of the stair is very deeply ingrained...too much that I can be arsed with...it's not totally darker just a feint, irregular mark.
I've been looking for paint,oil etc but come across an acrylic floor pain...various colours,two coats required...4 hours drying time...sounds interesting!

IMG_20200812_113033.jpg

Getting there... slowly! I took the time to fill and sand all the nail holes.. paint for the risers is Ronseal Diamond hard floor paint,took 5 coats to get it where I wanted. The hard wax floor oil is from Fiddes which I bought in "light" oak...it's a bit darker I think...and a clear satin,as they recommend two coats of the tinted then finish with a top coat of clear for high traffic areas. Good job I asked forum about M2...I bought a litre of each..first coat just under half a litre. That leaves a little bit if colour over and half a tin of clear for any future maintenance. Gotta let this dry now for 4/6 hours...kids and dogs been kicked out..sitting in the sun it shall be!

Last edited:
View attachment 30858
Getting there... slowly! I took the time to fill and sand all the nail holes.. paint for the risers is Ronseal Diamond hard floor paint,took 5 coats to get it where I wanted. The hard wax floor oil is from Fiddes which I bought in "light" oak...it's a bit darker I think...and a clear satin,as they recommend two coats of the tinted then finish with a top coat of clear for high traffic areas. Good job I asked forum about M2...I bought a litre of each..first coat just under half a litre. That leaves a little bit if colour over and half a tin of clear for any future maintenance. Gotta let this dry now for 4/6 hours...kids and dogs been kicked out..sitting in the sun it shall be!
Looking good @Clint,you'll be proud as punch each time you take the stairs especially with a few HBs and should earn you major brownie points.Cracking job...athumb..

Latest posts

Back