Ways to add body when using dextrose to increase the ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Morning all...
I'm about to start all grain brewing (BIAB) this weekend and wanted to knock up a quick extract brew in the meantime to use up all my old bits and bobs. I have a kilo of Wheat DME and was thinking of a pseudo American Wheat beer. I'm going to knock up a 10L batch with the 1kg of Wheat DME, cascade pellets, lemon zest, coriander seeds and some Nottingham or US-05. Thing is I'm gonna chuck in 200-300g of dextrose to increase the ABV. As a wheat style beer what can I do to compensate the dilution of the body by using dextrose? I was thinking steeping some flaked oats (standard quick porridge oats) as I have those in the cupboard. Would that work? If not any other ideas???

Sorry if a bit strange, just a bit of a whim.

A million thanks in advance....

Whatever the end result it most definitely wont be a Hefeweizen 😄, these are typically yeast dominated styles low on hops, with ester flavours of clove and bannana (determined by fermentation temp). If you dont want to buy some additional malt then use Oats it will help give some body to the finished beer. I only do all grain so I dont know how much DME will give what ABV but you want to be around 5ish. You could maybe look at Blue Moon recipe as a guide as with those additional ingredients you might be closer to that

https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/4224235032/beer-blue-moon-clone/

Mash in the high end of temp. Like 68-70 c. For more body. Or buy more DME. Or use high maltose instead of dextrose. Even use a less attenuating yeast like s-33. Between US-05 and nott, the last gives you a dryer beer.
Also body it's related to residual sugar, but the mouthfeel could be tricky. A dry, high ABV, but hop/ester forward beer could taste like 'full'. Did I made myself understood? Sorry, but English isn't my first language.

its malt extract the process of chopping up dextrins has been complete so how would mash temp make a difference

Yeah. Forget this part, reading a second time and I got that. But still could be useful for a future all grain mash. ;)

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback...

Not looking the make a Hefeweizen, just a simple wheat style (hence the term pseudo wheat) with what I have left before grains are delivered. So really just looking at ways of adding body easily (stuff laying around the house/can pick up at the shops). At the moment oats look like the answer...

Thanks Mr Rook. I should be able to grab a bit of pale malt off a pal. For a 10l, how much oats/pale malt should I steep or mash? Considering it’s for body not ABV

Back