Weather Station

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, just wondered if anyone has a weather station at home? I have a ClimeMet weather station which broke in the summer and am looking for another, it needs to be wireless, have 25m range, and be able to give me temp, wind speed etc. Realistically not looking to pay more than £150.

Have you thought of using an arduino to make your own. It would cost a fraction of the amount your looking to pay and you can make it do whatever you want. If you're not in to coding/programming there's plenty of stuff already out there prewritten and guides on how to put the hardware together.

Why do you have a weather station?
I know it's something to do with raining etc but what do you do with the info?
Some strange people have interests other than making alcohol :confused.:

Have you thought of using an arduino to make your own. It would cost a fraction of the amount your looking to pay and you can make it do whatever you want. If you're not in to coding/programming there's plenty of stuff already out there prewritten and guides on how to put the hardware together.

I would have absolutely no idea where to start!

Why do you have a weather station?
I know it's something to do with raining etc but what do you do with the info?

I have an odd fascination with statistics.... that and we have some good weather here in Cornwall, it's not so much the rain it's wind im more interested in. I realise i could put my head out of the window but...

I would have absolutely no idea where to start!

Have a look at some beginner you tube vids or type in arduino weather station in you tube. It's not that difficult to get started and there'd be quite a few people on here that would be able to help.

I was going to ask the same question as Clint. I live in Ireland, I take each day as it comes. You can get the 4 seasons in one day.

I ask because I'm genuinely interested,not taking the ****...
There's no bigger anorak round here than me...spending possibly years on my own either trying to catch fish or wandering round fields with a £1000+ "magic wand" looking for "treasure"...
I'm still looking...my collection of toasted Viccy and Georgian copper coins is quite impressive!

wandering round fields with a £1000+ "magic wand" looking for "treasure"...
I've been out with the magic wand a few times. All my best finds (flint hand axe, scrapers and a nice arrowhead, also bits of Roman pottery) have just been laying on the surface and not made of metal...lol

I ask because I'm genuinely interested,not taking the p**s...
There's no bigger anorak round here than me...spending possibly years on my own either trying to catch fish or wandering round fields with a £1000+ "magic wand" looking for "treasure"...
I'm still looking...my collection of toasted Viccy and Georgian copper coins is quite impressive!

I don't mind if you are taking the ****! I've always like graphs, charts etc I realised that after spending years of my life playing championship manager as a teen! :laugh8:

I wouldn't have the patience for metal detecting, but I can understand why people do it, I found a medieval coin digging the garden years ago and thought I was going to retire on it. Unfortunately not.

Detecting is a very absorbing hobby....the research reveals all sorts of interesting historical facts regarding areas you are looking at...the hardest part is getting permission to go in land...

I ask because I'm genuinely interested

Private weatherstations are generally used for gardening although they can be used to automatically open and shut stuff. Main things collected are amount of sunlight, wind, temperature, humidity and some other things like air pressure for predicting weather patterns, ozone, radiation levels(I kid you not). I am not surprised that this sort of post is here as gardening and brewing have the same sort of mindset (patience and a willness to try again in a years time). The point is to have records of what worked and what didn't and any pointers as to why.

If you are interested in this sort of thing I would suggest rtl-sdr , they even have a complete guide to creating your own weather station or real life grand theft auto experience

Back