Web based scam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a word of caution whilst searching the web for ‘Digiboil 35L mash upgrade kit ‘ I stumbled across the following website www.crystalcleaning.org.uk who are offering remarkable deals on many well know homebrew supplies. Well needless to say I took the bait hook line and sinker I am now the proud owner of 2 pairs of night driving glasses having been properly scammed. Please be aware and don’t be tempted .

good to know.
that domain is relatively new and they are using the anonymity feature of whois which is seldom done by reputable companies. they are also using cloudflare so their IP isn't traceable easily.

domain name:
crystalcleaning.org.uk

data validation:
nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 10-sep-2020

registrar:
hosting concepts b.v. [tag = registrar-eu]
url: Openprovider | People and software that help you grow.

relevant dates:
registered on: 10-sep-2020
expiry date: 10-sep-2021
last updated: 25-sep-2020

registration status:
registered until expiry date.

name servers:
aragorn.ns.cloudflare.com
june.ns.cloudflare.com

crystalcleaning.org.uk has address 104.21.61.152
crystalcleaning.org.uk has address 172.67.211.123
crystalcleaning.org.uk has ipv6 address 2606:4700:3031::ac43:d37b
crystalcleaning.org.uk has ipv6 address 2606:4700:3034::6815:3d98

Thanks for the info
Just a further point of note at the point of purchase I realised that it was a scam I didn’t click the proceed to payment button and deleted all my card details sadly too late the took the money anyway !

Thanks for the info
Just a further point of note at the point of purchase I realised that it was a scam I didn’t click the proceed to payment button and deleted all my card details sadly too late the took the money anyway !
sickening behaviour.
if it was a credit card i believe you'd be able to claim but i'm sure you're aware of that.

This is their Contact page
1610990680695.png

The T&Cs refer to "Our Shop GROUP LTD", a google search for that turns up nothing.
At the bottom of the T&Cs it says "If there is a dispute about these Terms or Your use of this Site, the laws of the State of California, United States of America, shall apply, without regard to any conflict of law provisions, and it shall be resolved exclusively by the state and federal courts sitting in California in the State of California, United States of America. "

Yep they were very sympathetic but unable to do anything except guarantee that if my bank details have been compromised they will refund any future money lost.
Ah don’t know why your bank told you that.

if you paid via card you can use the chargeback service for debit card and something similar with credit cards. Call back your bank and speak to someone who knows about chargeback. All visa and MasterCards etc offer this service.

Also if you take it further, you could find out which merchant has been used to take money. You can’t just take money from peoples cards without a merchant account of sorts and trust me merchants will not put up with fraudulent companies using its services.

at the end of the day you can get your money back and you should never think that cos someone at the bank said no that that’s the end of it. All debit and credit card purchases are covered.

If you haven't provided approval to take payment from your card, it's fraud. That being the case, I believe the bank is obliged to look into it further.

Ah don’t know why your bank told you that.

if you paid via card you can use the chargeback service for debit card and something similar with credit cards. Call back your bank and speak to someone who knows about chargeback. All visa and MasterCards etc offer this service.

Also if you take it further, you could find out which merchant has been used to take money. You can’t just take money from peoples cards without a merchant account of sorts and trust me merchants will not put up with fraudulent companies using its services.

at the end of the day you can get your money back and you should never think that cos someone at the bank said no that that’s the end of it. All debit and credit card purchases are covered.

Yes, I got scammed a while ago having been redirected to a fake shopping site and my CC company refunded me.

Had something similar recently (not brew related) where the advertised product was replaced with something of vastly inferior quality, and didn't match the spec.
Although a somewhat lengthy process, I got a full refund via PayPal from the Chinese company concerned. Basically it was fraud.

Yep that’s where I went wrong
I used a Debit card and the rules are slightly different
I would have to contact/ speak to the seller Return the fake goods at my own cost before Lloyds will even entertain looking in the matter!
With debit card it’s called chargeback. You honestly need to call Lloyds back “who I used to work for many moons ago” some of the staff don’t have a clue what charge back is! It’s visa and MasterCard who actually refund but Lloyds shall take your info and send you a form out. You complete the form with any screen shots or emails and return it to them. You should be refunded within 30 days.

as I said a lot of bank staff have absolutely no clue! Especially in the contact centre. Ask to speak to someone who knows about chargeback and who can send you the form out!!! Don’t give up man! It’s your money that has been stolen.

With debit card it’s called chargeback. You honestly need to call Lloyds back “who I used to work for many moons ago” some of the staff don’t have a clue what charge back is! It’s visa and MasterCard who actually refund but Lloyds shall take your info and send you a form out. You complete the form with any screen shots or emails and return it to them. You should be refunded within 30 days.

as I said a lot of bank staff have absolutely no clue! Especially in the contact centre. Ask to speak to someone who knows about chargeback and who can send you the form out!!! Don’t give up man! It’s your money that has been stolen.
This may be useful How do I use chargeback? - Which? Consumer Rights and this Lloyds Bank | Help and Guidance | Debit Card Disputes question 8

Back