Wee Heavy recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdp

Reaction score
Hi all,

it's my first post on this forum, so first a small introduction;
I'm Teun, 36 years old and living in the east side of the Netherlands, close to the German border. Started brewing in 2013, and over the years 'my brewery' grew from pots and pans, to a 3 vessel SS Brewtech 15 Gallon setup. I'm a fan of different styles of beer, mostly the traditional styles. The problem in the Netherlands is that it's hard to find proper traditional English beers. Bitters or Wee Heavy's are not that mainstream in Holland. So we have to brew them!

I'm thinking of brewing this beer next Sunday, maybe someone can give me advice/tips/tricks for this beer/recipe? Sorry for the recipe is in Dutch, but I think most of the terms are the same in English? (And sorry for my English, my German is better I think :))

Basis
OmschrijvingWaarde
KenmerkSS008
Naam receptWinterkoning Scotch Ale
Brouwdatum17-08-2020
BierstijlScotch Ale (Strong)
Volume44,0 l
Begin SG1,065 SG
Berekende kleur (Morey)37 EBC
Berekende bitterheid (Tinseth)30 IBU
Brouwzaalrendement80,0 %
Kooktijd60 min.

Water en brouwzouten
HoeveelheidIngrediënt
40,00 lWater uit Rossum 2020 Q1 t/m Q4
5,0 gCaCl2
3,00 mlFosforzuur
23,14 lSpoelwater

Waterprofiel behandeld water
CaMgNaHCO3ClSO4
63 mg/l7 mg/l55 mg/l106 mg/l56 mg/l83 mg/l

Vergistbare ingrediënten
HoeveelheidNaamMouterijKleur%
12,50 kgFinest Pale Ale Golden PromiseSimpsons Malt7 EBC88,7 %
0,50 kgCaraGold MaltCrisp Malt18 EBC3,5 %
0,50 kgCrystal Extra DarkSimpsons Malt475 EBC3,5 %
0,60 kgGolden SyrupSupermarkt40 EBC4,3 %

Maischschema
OmschrijvingTemperatuurStap tijdRust tijdBeslagdikte
Beta-amylaserust65,0 °C1 min.45 min.3,0 l/kg
Alfa-amylaserust72,0 °C15 min.30 min.3,0 l/kg
Uitmaischen78,0 °C5 min.5 min.3,0 l/kg

Hop
HoeveelheidNaamType% alfazuurKooktijd/toevoegingIBU
85,0 gBramling Cross 7,2% (Unibrew)bellen7,2%60 min.29,8 IBU

Gist
HoeveelheidNaamType
44,0 gNottingham (Lallemand)bovengist

Vergisting
KenmerkWaarde
Starttemp. vergisting19,0 °C
Max. temp. hoofdvergisting19,0 °C
Eind temp. hoofdvergisting19,0 °C

Welcome!

As Rook says, I wouldn't use Nottingham, otherwise looks good to me! I'm not an expert by any means but a quick google shows this one, Wyeast Scottish 1728 ?

Malt bill looks good, Bramling Cross is a nice hop (reminds me to use it again!), but do not fiddle too much with the water. Tukkers water is good enough to drink, so it's good enough to brew with!

Hi and welcome

One thing to note is that wee heavies/ strong scottish ales are not even that popular in scotland! I think your recipe would make a good beer, although I'd bump up the calcium to over 100 with some more CaCl

The current good ones that we do drink are like traquair house ale and broughton old jock, both are simply pale malt and a touch of roast barley, 1% or so. Traquair is fermented with nottingham btw, it's a fine choice for these types of beers if using dry yeast.

I don't know why but my reaction from Friday still has thoe be approved by a moderator, maybe this reaction doesn't have this problem?

Last year I brewed one with 98% Golden Promise and 2% Roasted Barley, and cooked down the first liters of wort to a syrup. I did use the WLP028 (Edinburgh Ale), turned out good! I wanted to try a different recipe, and prefer dry yeast at the moment. I brew all my beers with the yeast from Lallemand, with good result imo.

The version I regular drink is brewed by an Belgian brewery, Gordon Finest Scotch. I don't know if it represents the style good, but I like that one!

Thanks for the advices, I think I will brew it this way.

Last Friday I brewed this recipe. It was quite a nice brewday, hitting the numbers, even with this grain bill.
IMG_7064D.jpeg

I made a small change with the hops, as I wanted to use some Bramling Cross in some other recipe. For bittering I used the Northdown.
IMG_7072D.jpeg

Setup of the brewery while transferring the wort to the CCT
IMG_7075D.jpeg

And now we wait!

Teun

Last Friday I tried the first bottle, 2 weeks after bottling. The colour is a bit 'pale' in my opinion, but still nice.
It smells a bit yeasty, with a glimpse of candy.

First sip: Caramel, sweet, boozy. Mouthfeel is viscous, velvety.

I think this beer will develop in a great beer.
View attachment 42914

Cheers!
I give the color two thumbs up.

Last Friday I tried the first bottle, 2 weeks after bottling. The colour is a bit 'pale' in my opinion, but still nice.
It smells a bit yeasty, with a glimpse of candy.

First sip: Caramel, sweet, boozy. Mouthfeel is viscous, velvety.

I think this beer will develop in a great beer.
View attachment 42914

Cheers!

Looks great! Like the glass too!

Back