Weekly Bake Day - suggestions or just get involved

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson1984

Regular.
Reaction score
So, another lockdown!

I already work from home, wife is on maternity and the little boy is bored - so are we!!

no visiting people, no having family over and being as I don't see anyone for work either, we've gotten into a bit of a rut.

Now, don't get me wrong, i've got hobbies but none of them were social to start with so we're trying what we can to keep ourselves sane during lockdown but also, to hopefully come out the other side with a few new strings to our bow.

As with most new parents, we'd found it hard to get some "us" time that wasn't baby related, so before this lockdown we picked a saturday on the calender - date night! Now for us, this was an indian from our favourite restaurant (this place is awesome and their take aways are just as good as eating in) Now, we'd like to go out, but little guys in bed, and with Covid, we don't want to sit near other people anyway so it's a night in.

this does us a world of good - or it did anyway!

As you can see from my other post, i've made the garage a bit of a "man-cave" but in reality, it's become our "pub" we had a great night out there at the weekend, drinking too much, playing darts, playing music etc. We're still connected to the house, the baby monitor still reaches and the dog can come sit on the sofa with us and it even felt like a night out! I think it'll be getting used alot more as time goes on and hopefully once lockdown ends, it'll become a pretty sociable space - requests have already come in for a taster night when the blood orange cider is done haha!!

SOooo....next!!

We both like to cook, but doing it in the evening often becomes tiring. I've worked all day - wife has looked after our son, so we've fallen into the trap of just chucking stuff in the oven. We're getting back on track a bit but we've discussed a weekly bake day! I used to make bread as a hobby (not very well!) and my wife is a great cook. We used to make fudge, buns, savories etc and we've just stopped. So we're keen to have a bash. Once a week, bake something new. Probably both do something different i.e. I'm really eager to get back doing bread, and my wife is good with sweeter things. This won't really be "dinner" just hobby cooking.

So tomorrow will likely be the first day. Tuesdays going forward will be our weekly bake afternoon. Why afternoon? Well, we fit our life around nap time haha!! we get between 11:30 ish till about 3 and he sleeps through, so whilst i'm on lunch break, we plan to use this to make something tasty....hopefully!!

This weeks plan - Italian Pizza.. if I can find the yeast.

Future plans:
BREAD BREAD BREAD
Fudge
Sausages
Smoking foods
German Christmas market staples - I want to be ready for next years Oktoberfest in the garage pub!

anyway, i'm looking forward to getting started, be great to have some new foods for people to try at future social things, hopefully, good beer and good food.

and a sane couple that's not pulled their hair out whilst being locked down!!!

I try to have a " curry night" once a week..it's never the same night as my shifts keep rolling but I'd say I manage it!
Everything is made from scratch, British Indian restaurant style. This takes a bit of prep...a good few hours...so that's something to do...then there's deciding what to cook...pre cook meat...
I'm totally obsessed with the whole process...my BBQ is used every week of the year!
It is "my" hobby though as the Mrs and kids can't stand it!!
Look in the "Foodies" section at my Curry! thread to see what I mean...
You could explore other food styles if you don't like curry..
Oops....I can see you do!
Still... takeaway Indian costs a fortune...

Last edited:
can’t beat a curry for sure!

Trouble is the local curry house is amazing! And not too expensive really, I mean £30 gets a small feast for 2.

I like to make a curry but I’m nowhere near that level nor will I ever be....I like to make my own chipatti though, naan I’ve never mastered

naan I’ve never mastered
Tried it loads of ways and the best I've found is using the grill. Turn a grill pan upside down and get it screeching hot under the grill, slap your rolled out naan on that and watch it as it bubbles up then flip it. If your naans come out tough you haven't got it hot enough and the extra cooking time means more moisture leaves - same with things like roti and tortillas.

I find a yeast risen dough works much better than a baking powder one.

I make up a mix of garlic and half oil and butter. Garlic powder works great for it but if you use fresh then try and microwave it to cook the garlic a bit. Spoon it on the naan and swoosh it round with the back of a spoon.

If you haven't got a gaggle of screeching drunk women eating the naans straight away then get them in a box with a lid or a bowl you can cover. Some people wrap them in a towel but when I do that you end up with naans that taste of Lenor. It's bad.

Last edited:
Make some focaccia. It’s difficult to mess up and the results are usually immensely satisfying.

Also tis the season for a casserole. I highly recommend pork and cider. Obviously dry cider from Somerset lol.

We have a monthly ‘world day’ where we learn about a country and play games from that country and make food from that country. I have taken the opportunity to make a bread from each country lol. Russian potato bread is excellent, so is Swedish limpu bread.

We are lucky as our daughter works for Bakedin and we get lots of cakes to test and try. They are moving into breads as well so really looking forward to trying them out.

Latest posts

Back