Weighing down fruits under the surface

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanMSE

Reaction score
I want to make a cherry mead. And ideally, I want the cherries in a bag, so that they're fully submerged rather than floating in top.

I was thinking of using ceramic baking beans, sterilise them, and putting them in the bag with the cherries to help weight down.
Is this likely to work or impart any off flavours?

Thanks

I want to make a cherry mead. And ideally, I want the cherries in a bag, so that they're fully submerged rather than floating in top.

I was thinking of using ceramic baking beans, sterilise them, and putting them in the bag with the cherries to help weight down.
Is this likely to work or impart any off flavours?

Thanks

I use sterilised cutlery when dry hopping.

Marbles!! Nicked the lads marbles ( well hes not interested in them being 32) Easy to sterilise and handle. But anything of good stainless steel would probably do - not sure about metallic off tastes though.

Last edited:
When i make cherry wine,Which is my favorite, I just bung them in,And watch them go up and down during fermentation like some sort of lava lamp.
They settle out at the bottom with the yeast once the dark deed is done.

Hello, I’m new here so apologies if this has been done to death. But I’m keen to try to make cherry wine. Some advise straining the fruit before primary fermentation, others after. It seems as if johncrobinson subscribes to the latter. But what is best, or doesn’t it matter?
thanks

I'm one for throwing the prepared fruit into the starting must and when primary is over or slowing then either rack the liquid off or pour it through a sieve into the next vessel for secondary. Don't worry about oxygen or air upsetting it if you sieve it as the risk is minimal, especially if it's a higher ABV. Some people get a bit paranoid about oxidation during a fermentation, I've had no issues but it'd be interesting to see how concerned other members are? In fact, a shake up before secondary can only help.
You may have a shorter clearing period with the bulk of the pulp/spent fruit being removed in a bag though.
The yeast are really efficient at munching through any/all sugar and I too love the lava lamp look of fruit and matter raising and sinking. It's hypnotic. (It's due to nucleation of CO2 forming on the fruit at depth and becoming buoyant then rising before dumping the CO2 and sinking again).
Try a comparison? One in a bag and one without? I love a comparison.

If the fruit is left in for the whole ferment as I do,The alcohol and yeast extract maximun flavour and colour.

I dont see anything wrong in using a brewbag in a fermenter.

The other thing I would say is I pick my own cherries and the power of the flavour varies greatly between tree to tree
therefore use the nicest ones.(normally the varieties with the smallest fruits).

Back