Weighing Scales For Grain

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by Ghillie, Jan 26, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jan 26, 2019 #1

Ghillie

Ghillie

Ghillie

Landlord. Supporting Member

After my last brew, I realised that my cheap digital fishing scales are pretty inaccurate. To the point where I won't be using them again.

So, looking for a set of scales; decent but affordable; for grains. Ideally, something digital that will comfortably hold a bucket whilst still being able to see the display. My Salter kitchen scales are too small, and even if I put a bowl on big enough for ~1kg of grain at a time, it's still awkward to read the display. Not life altering, but annoying.

How does everyone weigh their grains?

2. Jan 26, 2019 #2

MickDundee

MickDundee

MickDundee

Landlord.

Ghillie likes this.
  3. Jan 26, 2019 #3

Ghillie

Ghillie

Ghillie

Cheers Mick, I did see those ones and was wondering if anybody had experience with them.

They'll hold a 20L bucket - already in the eBay shopping basket. £25.90, not bad!

4. Jan 26, 2019 #4

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Landlord.

I use the kitchen scale with a kilo at a time, so interested in what other solutions there are

Ghillie likes this.
  5. Jan 27, 2019 #5

Ghillie

Ghillie

Ghillie

6. Jan 27, 2019 #6

MickDundee

MickDundee

MickDundee

Landlord.

No idea. I bought the other one on a whim because it was on a Black Friday deal.

Ghillie likes this.
  7. Jan 27, 2019 #7

Ghillie

Ghillie

Ghillie

Will bite the bullet and give them a go. Can't see there being much of a difference if any.

8. Jan 27, 2019 #8

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Landlord.

I use an old cast iron kitchen scales for measuring speciality grains - in ounces as that's the weights we have.
    For pale malt (whole grain) I put a pound into a jug and hey presto it filled the jug to about half an inch from the top so now I `weigh' my PM with the jug. Quick and easy.

Ghillie and BarnBrian like this.
  9. Jan 27, 2019 #9

Horners

Horners

Horners

Regular. Supporting Member

Digital kitchen scales with a big plastic bowl bought for peanuts. Holds just under 2kg I think so no big hassle. This thread has made me think though that it might be worth getting something bigger to determine volumes. Most of my stuff has either inaccurate markings or none at all.

uDicko and Ghillie like this.
  10. Jan 27, 2019 #10

Mavroz

Mavroz

Mavroz

Regular.

I have a set of these from when i had an online shop for weighing parcels out a few years back. Good for heavier weights but weighing to 2 or 3 grams is a bit difficult as i think mine weigh in 5g increments.

They have lasted forever.

The set i have, the display unclips also, meaningthat you never struggle to see the display.

Ghillie likes this.
  11. Jan 27, 2019 #11

cheeseyfeet

cheeseyfeet

cheeseyfeet

Ghillie likes this.
  12. Jan 28, 2019 #12

joe 90

joe 90

joe 90

a 1 litre plastic measuring jug filled level to the top holds halve a kilo of grain so if you are using 10 kilos of barley its 20 jugs full

13. Feb 1, 2019 #13

Sput

Sput

Sput

14. Feb 12, 2019 at 3:33 PM #14

Ghillie

Ghillie

Ghillie

So used the new scales today for both kegging and grain conditioning water measurements.

Very pleased and a good buy, would definitely recommend.

Still used the drug dealer scales for weighing hops and water additons though.

154998547112731.jpg 1549985470697878.jpg

15. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:26 PM #15

Sput

Sput

Sput

Sorry if this is a stupid question, Ghillie, but why do you use scales for kegging? I assume to get an exact volume measurement? Which is then useful for getting keg hopping / additions ratios right?

16. Feb 13, 2019 at 6:07 PM #16

Ghillie

Ghillie

Ghillie

No such thing as a stupid question! The scales are purely so I don't overfill the keg.

When using a no-rinse sanitiser, it can be very difficult to see the top of the beer in the keg, due to the foam. I've had beer getting inside the regulator once before due to a burst carbed overfilled keg. Can be a very expensive mistake!

17. Feb 13, 2019 at 6:58 PM #17

Sput

Sput

Sput

OK that makes sense. I know what you mean (I've so far avoided the problem thankfully but had it fill up a spunding valve and that was bad enough to clean out). My approach is to only fill the FVs to 20l and then expect approximately 1l of loss - but sometimes it gets a bit close... I think I'll give the scales approach a go, if only to watch the numbers climb up tantalisingly...

Ghillie likes this.
  18. Feb 13, 2019 at 7:49 PM #18

Ghillie

Ghillie

Ghillie

I fill my FV's to 22L, I get about ~1.5L - 2L loss to trub and hops (with a big DH). That leaves a little bit of beer behind, but nothing I'd class as waste.

The scales are primarily for weighing out grain, but I went for the next size up (which was actually cheaper) for the cornies as well.

19. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:17 PM #19

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

I use digital kitchen scales costing round about a tenner. They weigh up to 5Kg, but a bowl containing 5kg is too big to see the display so I weigh 3Kg at a time, chuck it into a bucket and weigh out the rest accordingly. I also have a lab scale for weighing hops and I find that the gram measurement on the kitchen scale is about the same as the lab scales. Moral, what level of tolerance do we need in weighing things? Surely plus or minus a gram- even with hops- is good enough when there are so many other variables in play.
    Standing on the bathroom scales and stuffing your pockets with hops is taking it a bit too far, though. :p

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 8:22 PM
  20. Feb 13, 2019 at 10:44 PM #20

DrGMc

DrGMc

DrGMc

OK after a long search tonight the best I could find was £23.89 for the ULTRASHIP 55 25kg DIGITAL at polypostalbags.co.uk, I couldn't find any additional coupon codes but still its a good price with 1st class delivery. The ULTRASHIP 75 is only £1 extra - but hey our grain bag are only 25 kg so for me thats overkill. Hope this helps someone and
    Ghille thanks for the OP as this gave me the nudge to finally upgrade from the old kitchen scales myself

Ghillie likes this.