Weights for hop bag

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einsamkeit

Reaction score
This might seem like a bit of an odd question but what is suitable to use as a small weight to put in a hop bag when dry hopping? I'm starting to dry hop some beers for the first time.
I don't like the idea of using a ball bearing for possible contamination. I was thinking of maybe a glass marble? Just looked on Tesco and I'm not paying 7 or 8 quid for 700 baking beads when I only want 1or 2.
What do you other brewers use?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this topic.
Thanks for any info supplied.

more than one marble or BB would be needed,,Stainless steel BB's would be great for the job, and very expensive, i dont think cooks clay baking beads would have much mass and may even float themselves??
be warned i got a load of 1.5" SS balls from ebay china WHOOPS, damn things were hollow and floated!! Bah!!

Im comming from keeping a hop spider bag submerged durring a boil rather than a dry hopping angle, though its basically the same issue getting hydrated bagged hop flowers to sink ;)

a few odd SS pipe fittings would work well too dont be tempted to use copper there are reasons beyiond me why copper and yeast dont always mix well..

afaik a lot of folk like pellets for dry hopping as they will drop out as trub,

I use cheap glass marbles. I put a small handful in the bag then boil, put the hops in for a minute to wet them and then that all sinks quite nicely.

I throw any broken marbles away when I'm done with the hops and then clean the bag for next time. A bag can be had for £1 from the usual pound shops and will last a number of brews.

Thank you for the replies, gents.
Will have a look in the local pound shop and failing that will give a craft shop a try.

Cheers.

is there nough't wrong with a a few 2p,s or 10pence pieces as long as they're properly cleaned.save buying marbles ?

is there nough't wrong with a a few 2p,s or 10pence pieces as long as they're properly cleaned.save buying marbles ?
Even if you sanitise the hell out of the coins they could still contaminate the brew, think about how many people have handled them and where they’ve been, i wouldnt risk it, plus it would give off a nasty metallic taste

Even if you sanitise the hell out of the coins they could still contaminate the brew, think about how many people have handled them and where they’ve been, i wouldnt risk it, plus it would give off a nasty metallic taste
I agree. The metal will be eaten away by the acidic beer. Use gold Sovereigns, krugerrands or get some big marbles.

Got my marbles from B&M, about 50 for a quid. They're the decorative ones people put in bowls around their house. I use around 5-10, give them a boil with the hop bag for 5 minutes, empty into sanitised sieve, let them cool for a min then put your hops in and straight into the fermenter.

In pinch I've used forks and spoons though.

I've got a pack of 4 Sauer Stones which are food grade soda glass discs that are used by people who do fermented veg to put in the top of mason jars to keep the veg under the vinegar. 2 of these weigh down the fullest dry hop bag and they are easy to sterilse and are food safe.

I'm dry hopping at the moment, I often do it without a bag but have started using one the last few years, just chucked in.

Is there any proof that weighing the bag down makes a difference or is it just another one of those brewing rumours that perpetuates?

I have always just thrown in the hops on top of the beer as it’s fermenting, normally on day 4 and left for 5 days.

Last week I dry hoped a beer for just one day to see if this could be as effective. Don’t know the results yet.

Tonight I have another beer ready for dry hopping. I have a mesh bag & some large ball bearings to weigh it down so we’ll see if it’s better to drown the hops.

This is not a “real” test because I’m relying on my memory of my recipes rather than a side-by-side comparison but if the difference is worth bothering with it should be obvious.

Latest posts

Back