Weird Kveik Taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a message back from Tom at the Yeaster Bunny. He says it's very strange and there have been no complaints from those batches. Test batches went well too. It could be put under high density UV light when coming through UK customs and it killed off the yeast. He also kindly offered a refund or send another out.

Could be a freeze thaw cycle issue, but I'm pretty sure that " native " kveik on a ring etc goes through many freeze thaw cycles.
Is it a good price via ebay ?

Another update to this. Yeaster Bunny sent a new sachet of Skare which I put on a 500ml starter with a tbsp of bread yeast. It's been 2 days and no sign of life :(. I don't know if I'm just very unlucky or there has been changes on importing things.

That's a hell of a lot of yeast in 500ml, the kveik on its own is more than enough for 20L. What's the gravity of your starter? It could have fermented out without you noticing.

Last edited:
That's a hell of a lot of yeast in 500ml, the kveik on its own is more than enough for 20L. What's the gravity of your starter? It could have fermented out without you noticing.
Gravity is probably 1.040, it's 50g of DME in 500ml of water. There's no krausen to suggest fermentation. It's really bubbly but I'm not sure if that's CO2 from fermentation or just bubbles from the stirplate.

Gravity is probably 1.040, it's 50g of DME in 500ml of water. There's no krausen to suggest fermentation. It's really bubbly but I'm not sure if that's CO2 from fermentation or just bubbles from the stirplate.
What's the actual gravity? If it isn't 1.040 then something has happened.

What's the actual gravity? If it isn't 1.040 then something has happened.
Ah sorry I misunderstood. I took a gravity reading and it was almost fermented out, so something has been fermenting it! I brewed a schwarzbier today and put 4L in a small demijohn and added a small bit of the starter to see whether it's Skare or not.

Yet another update. The beer fermented out really quickly which is a good sign but I left it for a bit longer just to make sure. I bottled yesterday, was tasting great. It seems the starter really helped.

Latest posts

Back