WEIRDEST WINE EVER MADE?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago, I made mint wine and parsley wine. I can't remember the recipes but I do remember them needing a lot of the respective herbs. They both turned out as high alcohol dessert wines, somewhere between a Sauternes and a sweet sherry in flavour. You'd never have guessed that they were based on herbs.

What's your secret - I couldn't make it work at all.
2.2kg parsnips boiled in 4.5 litre water until almost mushy but still hold their shape, drain water add 1.2kg sugar cool to 35 add yeast and nutrient stop it at 1.000 clear n bottle, its good after about a month but obviously longer helps it meld together

Peach and watermelon wine.
FOUL
Cant taste either fruit and its like paint stripper / mouth wash with a horrible aftertaste.
Used wine yeast and it brewed out at 11%, everything appeared to go perfectly well and it's beautifully clear. Just tastes like sh!t3
Even 3 years later (I refuse to throw anything anyway, it'll come good eventually) it's still bloody awful.

It'll come good eventually......

Peach and watermelon wine.
FOUL
Cant taste either fruit and its like paint stripper / mouth wash with a horrible aftertaste.
Used wine yeast and it brewed out at 11%, everything appeared to go perfectly well and it's beautifully clear. Just tastes like sh!t3
Even 3 years later (I refuse to throw anything anyway, it'll come good eventually) it's still bloody awful.

It'll come good eventually......
Distill it into brandy then it may come to use sooner than never

For the past year every time a banana has been past its best I've thrown it into the freezer together with any other fruit that was getting a bit squishy. I'm planning a "Manky Fruit" wine at some future point.
Hey don't call it manky, they should be called extra tasty

Banana Wine is gorgeous, I made a batch a while ago that tasted quite strong (can't say what percentage it was but it wasn't a high alcohol yeast)

Obviously massive banana flavour, but also really good mouthfeel. Probably be good on a cold day.

Also I cooked the bananas for half an hour and the whole house smelt amazing lol

Back