WEIRDEST WINE EVER MADE?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christmas Pudding Wine is gorgeous, made this years batch back in April ready for the winter.

Tastes like Madeira/Sherry/port.

Would you care to share your recipe? I did some sculling around and made a recipe up, but I think it could have been better. The only puddings left when I went shopping were at Aldi, with no ingredients listed, and turned out to have palm oil in them (yeuchhh! sick...) Through determined straining I have managed to get rid of most of it, but the most unpleasant job I have done in a long time.

Second mistake was to overdo it on the puddings, I used two. Fortunately I was quite restrained on putting in sugar, but the O.G. was still high at 1.100. I thought I had overdone it, but in 3 days it was down to 1.040, and subsequently has dropped to 1.004, so should be drinkable, if sweet. Due to the huge amount of sediment, I think 4 bottles will be pushing it, but hardly one to be necking down.

It'll be interesting to see if it stands a chance of clearing.

Anyway, would be great if you could post your recipe up.

acheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I use the Happy Homestead guys recipe:

Yes there does tend to be quite a lot of sediment and horrible floating stuff lol but once it all clears and sorts itself out it's great.

You, my friend, are a terrible person😅 that is awful, there's a recipe that dates around the time of Mead that is meant to be good, you make cheese by heating milk with lemon juice remove the cheese and add honey to the whey water stuff im gonna make it next week but have no idea if I dare try it after
Getting off topic here, but I have a nephew in Edinburgh who works as a 'mixologist'. My sister tells me he has been experimenting with making milk-based vodka...

Getting off topic here, but I have a nephew in Edinburgh who works as a 'mixologist'. My sister tells me he has been experimenting with making milk-based vodka...
I can imagine that's possible as distilling would give you a clean liquid rather than cottage cheese type beverage you'd have if just fermenting milk by its self

I have a DJ on the go from last May, due for it's final racking soon. Beggar just won't clear though. I'll try to remember and keep you posted.
Are you against using fining agents? Its basically just gelatine or if you've already used some I've made wines in the past that stay cloudy no matter how much you wait

I like to try and avoid it, but when a wine has been in the DJ for a year uncleared I usually resort to it. This one's due for bottling in May, so I think I will have to. Wish I could still get hold of Kwik Clear, that was the best one.

Anyone ever done Oak leaf wine ?
Gallons of it, i have also done;
oak leaf
nettle
ash leaf
brich leaf
beech
bramble tip
strawberry leaf, mint and dried herbs and roots
all known uk teas in bags and boxes and a huge amount of loose leaf

everyone hears of brich sap but you can also try
ash sap, oak sap, walnut sap, willow sap beech sap.

parsnip wine is not a great wine but its done to prove your wine making skill set. its used as a test piece wine. most fail at it due to lack of skill sets. roots you can also try potatoe, turnip, sweede, sugar beet, mangol and carrot and a far few others, sugar beet is harder to get hold of depending on your location. mangols are a wesh thing for me to get hold of.

lettuce -done but an utter waste of time,
celery -done but an utter waste of time,
tomatoe -done but an utter waste of time
marrow is just an utter waste of every thing and tastes of nothing
gerkin wine -is a better taste, but still awlfull

Gallons of it, i have also done;
oak leaf
nettle
ash leaf
brich leaf
beech
bramble tip
strawberry leaf, mint and dried herbs and roots
all known uk teas in bags and boxes and a huge amount of loose leaf

everyone hears of brich sap but you can also try
ash sap, oak sap, walnut sap, willow sap beech sap.

parsnip wine is not a great wine but its done to prove your wine making skill set. its used as a test piece wine. most fail at it due to lack of skill sets. roots you can also try potatoe, turnip, sweede, sugar beet, mangol and carrot and a far few others, sugar beet is harder to get hold of depending on your location. mangols are a wesh thing for me to get hold of.

lettuce -done but an utter waste of time,
celery -done but an utter waste of time,
tomatoe -done but an utter waste of time
marrow is just an utter waste of every thing and tastes of nothing
gerkin wine -is a better taste, but still awlfull
I would be really interested in making oak leaf wine. Do you have a link to a good recipe that you have used, please?

What exactly are bramble tips?
it is the very top section on a growing plant tendral. its the folded leaf bud and top four open leaves. in old english the top two inches. i used to describe it as the top leaves soft and tender. if the leave has sharp or rughness to it is to old for use. you should be able to clean off a bucket load extreamly quickly and without thorns biting you. they taste when boiled as if its mixed with the berries. slight and faint but fruit back taste

I would be really interested in making oak leaf wine. Do you have a link to a good recipe that you have used, please?
Try the cjj berry book as it does a leaf recipe in that. i would suggest 10% more on grape or fruit for better flavour

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back