Weiss Beer Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up something of a taste for this stuff in Germany with the Army (along with a like of Asbach brandy). Weiss comes in three sorts, Dark (Dunkel) which is a bit heavy for me, middle (Hefe) which is OK but can be a bit 'explosive' next morning - this is the stuff Tesco sells and 'Crystal' - clear and often served with a few grains of rice to promote bubbles. The Germans have many peculiar habits, one of which is putting a slice of lemon in crystal Weiss so I always ask for it 'ohne'.

Anyway, enough of my potted (and frequently eventful) drinking history, has anyone tried this kit

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/...tQDcPEh8qJX6nAXEfSuFl4G_jrDKrKgRoCV0sQAvD_BwE
and if so what did you think?

Last edited:
I love Wheat/Weiss beers, every other brew is one.
I did a couple of these early days and they were the best Weiss Bier kits I’ve bought. Most of the rest make you add sugar etc… and are a bit thin.
Cost is the only thing that made me move on.
Firstly to 3kg of wheat DME , a small hop charge, CML gretel yeast . £7/8 saving.
Then to all grain £15ish saving.
I’d 100% brew and drink this kit again if time was a issue and I couldn’t do a boil. Great starter kit for a lover of wheat beers.

I did the Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat beer kit with 1Kg of Wheat DME and it was lovely. I’m planning on doing the Bruphoria Wit and Wheat beer kits from the Homebrew Company next. Just to take a break from IPA’s.

Just to echo all the above, the Festival Weiss is amazing, I've made it several times. I've served it to a friend who's a bit of a Weiss aficionado and he couldn't believe it was homebrew.

I did also make the peach limited edition they did a while back, that was also fine but the peach flavour did seem a bit artificial / floral.

I picked up something of a taste for this stuff in Germany with the Army (along with a like of Asbach brandy). Weiss comes in three sorts, Dark (Dunkel) which is a bit heavy for me, middle (Hefe) which is OK but can be a bit 'explosive' next morning - this is the stuff Tesco sells and 'Crystal' - clear and often served with a few grains of rice to promote bubbles. The Germans have many peculiar habits, one of which is putting a slice of lemon in crystal Weiss so I always ask for it 'ohne'.

Anyway, enough of my potted (and frequently eventful) drinking history, has anyone tried this kit

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/...tQDcPEh8qJX6nAXEfSuFl4G_jrDKrKgRoCV0sQAvD_BwE
and if so what did you think?
I've only just started making beer and have made 4 or 5 kits with varying success, but the Festival Weiss Beer is so good I can't believe it. I have now bought a GrainFather and am wondering if I really need to have.

I've only just started making beer and have made 4 or 5 kits with varying success, but the Festival Weiss Beer is so good I can't believe it. I have now bought a GrainFather and am wondering if I really need to have.
Great to hear. I have the Festival Weiss Beer fermenting away at the moment. Looking forward to trying this.

How did it turn out???
It will be moving down to the garage tomorrow to condition. So I won't be sampling it for another 2 weeks. However last weekend the Wit Beer I made from the HomeBrew Company was ready. It is from the Bruphoria range and it is called Wit or Wit out you. It is absolutely gorgeous. Well worth trying. I did a review of it last week in the review section.

It will be moving down to the garage tomorrow to condition. So I won't be sampling it for another 2 weeks. However last weekend the Wit Beer I made from the HomeBrew Company was ready. It is from the Bruphoria range and it is called Wit or Wit out you. It is absolutely gorgeous. Well worth trying. I did a review of it last week in the review section.

I’ve not done that one so it’ll be interesting to get a comparison!!

I’ve not done that one so it’ll be interesting to get a comparison!!
Well I have compared the two. Both are lovely beers but for me the Bruphoria Wit is head and shoulders above the Festival German Weiss beer kit. I have done a Coopers Wheat Beer, Mangrove Jacks Wheat Beer, Festival and the Bruphoria Kit. The Bruphoria Wit is a lovely refreshing light wheat beer. Very very nice. It’s personal taste, but for me the Wit is the winner. It is basically just a pimped up Coopers kit but they have nailed it with the hop extract and hop tea bag.

Unfortunately the Weiss Beer kit picked up something unmentionable and has been binned. All kit and the brew fridge will have a deep clean before activity is resumed

I have had only one brew go bad - early last year - a Belgian Saison. Pretty sure it was a leaky tap on the ferment bin. Beer had pooled and stained the floor. I guessed if anything could leak out of that tap, anything could get in. I have never since used a tapped bin to ferment the beer, only to bottle it. Horrible when it happens though. All that eager anticipation dashed and the work in tipping it all away and sterilising everything in sight!

As for Asbach Uralt, an uncle used to bring that over from Mönchengladbach. Oiled many a raucous family party!

Back