Weisse

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbie

Reaction score
It's been a while, so I'm looking forward to getting a brew on tomorrow. Something not a million miles away from Schneider Weisse (hopefully):

59% wheat malt
40% pilsener
1% carafa II

Hallertau Hersbrucker to 12 IBU

WYeast 3068

I will follow the advice on here about pitching low and stressing those poor yeasties....
A quick look on the Schneider Weisse website and it seems they use open fermentors, is it asking for trouble giving that a try at home? :wha:

Grain is milled and ready for kick-off tomorrow night; a single (shiny) hex bolt + powerdrill saved me a good hour of hand cranking, should have done it ages ago :oops:

Looking good Rabbie, I'll be interested to hear if it really is like Schneider Weiss as it is probably my favourite wheat beer.

Hope it goes well. :thumb:

That's a lot of wheat . . . and I would skip the Carafa . . . going with caramunich instead.

The recipe I have for schneider weisee (for 23 Litres)

3470g Wheat malt
980g Pilsner Malt
980g Vienna Malt
330g Caramunich

Bitter to 13IBU using

20g Hallertau Mittelfruh

and 15g Mittelfruh in the last 15 minutes

If you really want to develop the tart apple fruit aroma, with apple banana and bubblegum in the finish consider a step mash (40C for 20 minutes, then 65C for 60 minutes and finally 76C for 10 minutes). . . You can do it with an infusion if your tun is big enough . . . and for the final step only you can withdraw some of the sweet wort and heat it to boiling on the stove before adding it back to hit 76C

Yep, it'll be interesting to see if I can get close to the real thing... Hopefully I get a chance to make it to one of the Edinburgh meetings the next time I'm over and you'll get a sampler :thumb:

The recipe I found on another forum, based on a pic of the actual recipe printed in the schneider weisse restaurant, although it only says "108g weizen malz, 72g gerstenmalz" for the malt types used. I might well have a try of your recipe too for a comparison.

We'll see how it goes with 1.5 : 1 wheat to barley malt, but I might regret it.
Thanks for the advice on the late addition hops, I was just planning to use 25g early. I'll also have a go at the 3 step infusion, my tun's 42 litre so I might be ok for a 20l length, I'll see if I can work out the volumes in beersmith :wha:

Well it turned out to be a long night, a rush to get the mash on before getting the wee one to bed meant I missed the first infusion temperature :clap: Got there in the end anyway. Ran off 10l and brought to boiling for the mash out:

DSC_1866.jpg

Lautering was a bit of a job, but I managed to collect 20l after clearing a couple of blockages, but had to run-off very slowly. I will definitely look into rice hulls if I go this high in wheat again...
Half way through the boil I remembered I'd filled the fermenting fridge with the Christmas beer I bottled last week so they were emptied to make way for the fermentor, well I couldn't miss a quick sampler:

DSC_1872.jpg

Filthy gravity check from the bottom of the boiler:

DSC_1874.jpg

Liquored back to 1.048 and tucked up in the fridge at 12C, and pitched the yeast this morning.

A long shift, so hopefully I get a reward in a few weeks :drink:

Hello rabbie, cracking name by the way!

I once brewed an Edme Weizen kit that was supposed to be 40 pints at about 3.5% but only made it up with 24 pints and added no sugar and can honestly say Schnider Weisse is what it came out like.

Not so much fun as your version but very nice to drink!

Latest posts

Back