WELL out of date kit !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djweeble

Reaction score
I returned to the UK 2 years ago, after working all over the world for the last 30 years.
I had a load of stuff in storage in Norway since 2014, and all that has now been shipped over. In amongst it was quite a bit of homebrewing kit I'd totally forgotten about, and inside one of the buckets I found a Geordie Scottish Export kit..... dated BBE 2013.

Not one to waste anything, I thought I'd give it a go and see how it comes out, after all, what have I got to lose !
I'll bin the yeast and use new stuff, but I was also thinking of adding some malt extract as an experiment...... as I have a couple of 650mg jars of Potters sat in the kitchen cupboard.

Has anyone done this with one of these kits before ?
Will it be a worthwhile improvement over what a lot of people say is a mediocre kit at best ?
Is it worth it ???

I returned to the UK 2 years ago, after working all over the world for the last 30 years.
I had a load of stuff in storage in Norway since 2014, and all that has now been shipped over. In amongst it was quite a bit of homebrewing kit I'd totally forgotten about, and inside one of the buckets I found a Geordie Scottish Export kit..... dated BBE 2013.

Not one to waste anything, I thought I'd give it a go and see how it comes out, after all, what have I got to lose !
I'll bin the yeast and use new stuff, but I was also thinking of adding some malt extract as an experiment...... as I have a couple of 650mg jars of Potters sat in the kitchen cupboard.

Will it be a worthwhile improvement over what a lot of people say is a mediocre kit at best ?
Is it worth it ???
I wouldn't use the Potters- it's a medicinal / food supplement grade, it might even have cod liver oil in it!
Don't expect too much from the Geordie. Provided the tin's intact and when you pour it in the water there are no black streaks (rust) it should be OK. If it were me, I'd make it up to 30 rather than 40 pints, using 3/4 the amount of sugar prescribed. Just to make it a bit maltier and a tad stronger.

Is it worth it ???
Is it worth it? For getting a decent beer to drink, hell no!
But since when did that prevent anyone (especially on this Forum) from just doing it anyway. Add one jar of Potters, 500g sugar and brew it short with Wilko Gervin yeast and see what happens.
I would, just for the "hell of it".

I would Toucan it. Get a stout kit and double it up with the out of date kit and 1KG of brewing sugar. Should turn out around 6% with plenty of body and flavour.

Anyway, now that you've dun-roaming and you're rich beyond your wildest dreams, get youself some decent kit- fermenters in quality plastic, etc. and some fresh ingredients.

Anyway, now that you've dun-roaming and you're rich beyond your wildest dreams, get youself some decent kit- fermenters in quality plastic, etc. and some fresh ingredients.
I'm already onto that, currently using four Youngs 4 inch neck FV's and kegging 20 litres of every brew into Polykegs, the balance goes into bottles.
Got a Kegerator 3/4 finished, sticking with can kits for now, but mainly using 2 can kits and playing around with adding ingredients.

Hope to upgrade the brewing vessels in a month or two, and move to dry kits around the same time...... then a few months after we'll see if I feel ready to go over to non kit recipes.

Done 14 batches up to now this year.

Latest posts

Back